Boise, ID -- 03/07/2022 -- During a special Board meeting held on Monday, March 7, 2022, the Boise School Board of Trustees voted unanimously to remove the District’s mask mandate effective beginning Tuesday, March 8, 2022.
With the Board’s decision, face coverings in the Boise School District will be recommended for those who are unvaccinated and optional for those who are vaccinated.
The Board’s vote comes following the determination by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control to move Ada County to the Yellow (medium) category on Thursday, March 3, 2022 regarding the community spread of COVID-19.
The Board of Trustees based removing the District’s mask mandate on the following current conditions:
- Community transmission of infectious disease according to CDC is at a medium rate (yellow):
- 1174.04 cases per 100,000
- Hospital Admissions at 7.4 per 100,000
- Spread of infectious disease in our schools:
- January 17th - 23rd = 952 positives cases and 529 quarantines.
- February 7th - 13th = 147 positive cases and 62 quarantines.
- February 28th - March 6th = 16 positive cases and 10 quarantines.
- Operational impact of employee & student absenteeism:
- January - Overall fill rate of 61% / certified fill rate of 74%.
- February - Overall fill rate of 74% / certified fill rate of 84%.
- Input from health care professionals:
- Change in guidance from CDC as of 2/25/22
“We appreciate the efforts of our teachers, support staff and administrators who continue to keep our students safe,” said Dave Wagers, President, Boise School Board. “We will continue to monitor the virus, and will continue to implement mitigation measures that need to be followed in order to keep our students, families and community safe.”
In reaching the decision to remove the District’s mask mandate, Board members reiterated that the District’s updated Health and Safety Plan, which includes a number of updated mitigation measures and procedures regarding school operations, will go into effect on Monday, March 28, 2022, the first day back from spring break.