Student Application Process is Now Open - Due Date Feb. 22, 2018
Lucy Weathers, Assistant Director at Breakthrough, is busy visiting Manchester public middle schools to speak with 6th grade students. In an effort to ensure we don't miss anyone, the application is also available online for download.
For more information and the application packet:
All Breakthrough students:
- express a desire to earn a college degree and are supported by their family in this ambition
- are academically motivated
- demonstrate potential for further academic success
- and are committed to involvement with Breakthrough for at least three years
Breakthrough students generally meet at least two of the following criteria:
- will be the first generation in their family to earn a four-year college degree in the U.S.
- are eligible for federal free or reduced lunch at school
- identify as an underrepresented racial or ethnic minority in New Hampshire
- speak a language other than English at home
- live in a single-parent household, with substitute caregivers or in unstable living situations
Except in rare special circumstances, students admitted to the Breakthrough Manchester program will reside in the city of Manchester.
Breakthrough Manchester student alumni are currently enrolled in the following colleges across the country!
Boston University (2)
Colorado School of Mines
East Carolina University (2)
Franciscan University of Steubenville
Great Bay Community College
Hawaii Pacific University
Johns Hopkins University
Johnson and Wales University
Keene State College
Maine College of Art
Manchester Community College (7)
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Services
Nashua Community College
NH Technical Institute (4)
Northeastern University (2)
Plymouth State University (4)
Richland College (2)
Rivier University (2)
Saint Anselm College
Saint Michael's College
Salem State University
Simmons College (2)
Southern NH University (8)
Texas Southern University
University of Alaska Fairbanks
University of Denver (2)
University of Hartford
University of Mass. Lowell (3)
University of Massachusetts - Boston
University of New England (4)
University of New Hampshire, Durham (14)
University of New Hampshire, Manchester (10)
University of Rhode Island
University of Southern Maine
University of Vermont
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Wheaton College, Massachusetts
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (2)
|Breakthrough Student Alumni - They Stay, Work and Play!
Here are just a few of the places in NH where our student alumni work now....
(And these are just the ones we know!)
If you attended Summerbridge or Breakthrough Manchester, and we're missing the company where you work, let us know!
Academy for Science and Design
Air Solutions and Balancing, LLC
Animal Rescue League of New Hampshire
Bedford Village Inn
Catholic Medical Center
Check Off Taxes, LLC
Cityside Management Services Corp
Coastal Specialty Forest Products
Colby Construction, LLC
Families in Transition
Frisbee Memorial Hospital
Glenwood Investment Group
Harmonic Drive, LLC
Intuitive Touch Massage Therapy
LSNE Contract Manufacturing
Manchester Boys and Girls Club
Manchester Middle School at Parkside
Manchester Police Commission
MAS Medical Staffing
National Healthcare Corporation, NH
NH Center for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
NH Department of Health and Human Services
Peter's Honda of Nashua
Rise Private Wealth Management
SAU 37, Manchester School District
Summer Teaching Fellows
College undergraduates: Did you miss the January 11 Early Action deadline to apply as a summer Teaching Fellow?
Not to worry - you have another chance to
apply before the
Regular Deadline on February 22, 2018.
For more information about the Teaching Fellowship, and to apply, click here.
Breakthrough provides a unique, paid opportunity for college students (and some exceptional high school students) to learn the foundational skills of teaching and leadership. Several highly respected organizations, including Teach for America, the Harvard School of Education, Boston Teaching Residency, and the Fulbright Overseas English Teaching Assistant program, recommend the Breakthrough program and regularly admit our Teaching Fellow alumni.
Even if you are not considering a career in education, the Breakthrough experience teaches you how to teach, train and collaborate with other people, invaluable skills in any profession.
"Breakthrough has been indescribably helpful to me on my path to becoming an educator. Everything I know how to do, I owe to Breakthrough. From the simplest forms of lesson planning to the nitty gritty of classroom management, all of my success is due to the varied exposure I've had in the Breakthrough community. I cannot speak highly enough of the organization."
- 2017 Summer Teaching Fellow
Breakthrough Manchester is a critical link in the PATHWAY to college for bright, limited opportunity students, and a PIPELINE for the development of the next generation of excellent teachers.
Connect with us, so that we can better connect these pathways and pipelines for students!
All young people, regardless of circumstance, can achieve their full potential as students, teachers and leaders.
The dual missions of Breakthrough Manchester are to launch promising Manchester middle school students, particularly those with limited opportunities, on the path to college while inspiring high school and college students to pursue careers in education.
We do this by:
* Recruiting and selectively admitting high-potential sixth graders with limited opportunities from Manchester middle schools for a tuition-free, three-year program
* Providing three rigorous, joyful academic summers and school year supports to admitted students during their middle school years
* Connecting ninth graders with the Breakthrough College-Bound program at Southern NH University to create a seamless pipeline of opportunity
* Recruiting, training, mentoring and supporting college students, and some local high-achieving high school students, as excellent teachers
* Engaging a broad array of stakeholders in understanding, promoting, funding and championing both missions of Breakthrough.