The provincial government has announced a sweeping lockdown starting on Boxing Day to help curb the rapid spread of COVID-19 in Southern Ontario.
The lockdown will last 28 days, until Jan. 23rd. Employers are being asked to allow staff to work from home wherever possible and be considerate of family needs, as schools will also be closing. The Brockton Childcare Centre will remain open for preschoolers. Its after-school programs will resume when elementary students return to school on Jan. 11th.
- Restaurants and bars may only offer pick-up, delivery or drive-through services. No indoor or outdoor dining allowed.
- In-person shopping prohibited in most retail stores, although curbside pickup and delivery can continue
- Grocery stores, convenience stores and other retailers that primarily sell food may operate at 50% capacity
- Pharmacies may operate at 50% capacity
- Big box retailers and discount stores selling groceries may operate at 25% capacity
- Access to indoor shopping malls restricted
- Motor Vehicle sales and repairs by appointment only
- Realtors may continue to show properties by appointment
- Hotels and motels may open (with pools and fitness centres closed)
- Essential services, including manufacturing, property maintenance, animal services, IT support, transportation, construction, agricultural, financial, health care, and domestic services are permitted.
- Indoor recreation facilities will be closed (including all community centres in Brockton); most outdoor recreation is permitted, although nearby ski hills will be closed.
- Personal services, casinos, tour guide services, museums, theatres and other venues closed.
All residents are advised to stay home as much as possible with trips outside the home limited to necessities such as food, medication, medical appointments, or supporting vulnerable community members. Indoor gatherings with people outside your household are prohibited. Employers in all industries should make every effort to allow employees to work from home.
The Brockton municipal office will be closed during the lockdown, but staff will available by appointment to assist businesses. Call 519-881-2223 ext. 131 or email email@example.com.
If you're a small business that will be impacted by the shutdown, please read the article below to see if you might qualify for the new small business support grant announced yesterday.