In September, you will notice a new six-week mini-course that will show up on the schedules of new students during the extended block associated with their Self in Community section.
This New Student Program (NSP) is part of an initiative to help students to be efficient and effective with their study habits. Research has shown that:
- habits can significantly replace the need for willpower.
- practicing a behavior as a habit will make it much easier to do each day.
- forming new habits, or breaking unproductive ones, can be really hard.
We want to help students develop smart study habits as they enter Brooks.
The Learning Center
team will be running this program as a way to connect with all of the new students and to socialize the idea that
can benefit at some point by getting help and using the support resources at school.
The program has three goals:
- It will be an extension of our current orientation, so that we can spread out the information that students receive at the start of school. By delivering this content over a longer stretch of time, the students will be better able to retain the information.
- It will connect The Learning Center team to new students earlier and build a relationship that demonstrates that the Learning Center is for all students.
- It will anchor our students to build the habits of planning and doing work during the academic day.