LAST CHANCE: PLEASE ADVOCATE FOR OUR STUDENTS
It's time to take on Tallahassee!
This week and next, the Florida Legislature will be making key decisions regarding education funding, testing and accountability, local control of local schools, and recess. Many of these decisions, which will affect our children and our schools for years to come, will be made in conference committee meetings held behind closed doors.
It's time to speak out NOW, and let our legislators know where we stand, before the doors shut and policy is made out of the public eye. Each short phone call or brief email to a key decision-maker has the power to add its weight to our collective voice.
Let's be positive. Contact the legislative leaders listed below today and tell them that you support:
- Funding K-12 education at the Senate's level-a record $7414.26 per pupil. Our children need and deserve more than the House's token $19.16 increase over last year.
- Funding charter school construction and repair needs using state, not local, capital dollars. We need every penny we have to keep our aging schools-many built over 50 years ago-safe and functioning.
- Respect for local control of turnaround schools and charter school authorization. We elect School Board members for a reason.
- The real "fewer, better tests" bill-SB 926. We need actual, not token, school accountability reform.
- The real recess bill-SB 78. Let the kids take a breather!
Contact these legislative leaders: (click on each name to email):
President Joe Negron (850) 487-5229
Speaker Richard Corcoran (850) 717-5000
Senator Anitere Flores (850) 487-5039
Senator Jack Latvala (850) 487-5106
Senator David Simmons (850) 487-5009
Rep. Jeanette Nunez (850) 717-5650
Rep. Carlos Trujillo (850) 717-5105
Rep. Manny Diaz (850) 717-5103
Know that the legislative staff members who answer your phone call or read your email will take note of your message. Your voice will be heard, and in conjunction with those of your fellow PTA advocates, your family members, your friends, and your neighbors, will have the power to affect the decisions made in Tallahassee.
Thank you for advocating on behalf of our students. Please share this action alert with all those who care about public education in Florida.
VP of Advocacy and Legislation
Miami-Dade County Council PTA/PTSA
You can copy and paste this message:
I am writing to express my support of:
Funding K-12 education at the Senate's level-a record $7414.26 per pupil.
Funding charter school construction and repair needs using state, not local, capital dollars.
Respect for local control of turnaround schools and charter school authorization.
The real "fewer, better tests" bill-SB 926.
The real recess bill-SB 78.