Essentials of Kayak Touring
This is an 8-hour ACA-accredited kayak class that introduces beginning kayakers the strokes and skills they need to enjoy kayaking safely on calm water and slow-moving rivers.
It will take place at the ACA Camp on Lake Sebago from 9am to 5pm with a break for lunch on Sunday July 11th and Sunday July 18th, 2021.
- The cost of this class is $75.00 and will cover all camp fees.
- You MUST be an ACA member to take this class.
- YOU MUST REGISTER IN ADVANCE and pay in advance if I do not know you.
Some boats are available for students use. Please let me know if you need a boat when you register.
- CLASS IS LIMITED to 15 participants max.
Some of the things we will cover are:
• Lifejackets (PFDs): types, fit
• Kayaks: types, materials, parts (including safety features such as flotation)
• Paddles: types, materials, parts, length, blade size, shape and offset, hand position
• Care of equipment
• Personal equipment: water, food, shoes, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, sun glasses,
eyeglass straps, protective clothing for heat or cold, sponge, bailer/pump, whistle (or other
approved sounding device), knife, light
• Optional equipment and outfitting for improved control
Safety and Rescue:
• Exercising judgment, safety as a mind-set, etc.
• Cold water shock / hypothermia: HELP / huddle, clothing
• Dehydration/ hyperthermia: hydration, clothing
• Hazards: wind, waves, weather, current, rocks, bridges, piers, dams, strainers, traffic
• Paddling as a group
• Interactions/ sharing water with non-powered and powered traffic
• Emergency procedures
• Rescue priorities: people, boats, gear
• Demonstrate/participate: T-rescue
• Deep-water re-entries, assisted and solo, with sling, including scoop and paddle float rescues
• Boat assisted rescue, assisting a tired swimmer (pushing or pulling to shore)
• Towing or bulldozing a capsized boat
• Paddling in a reasonably straight line
• Moving abeam (sideways)
• Back (stopping)
• Sculling draw
• Sweep (including stern draw)
• Reverse sweep
ANY QUESTIONS, or to register: Phil Giller firstname.lastname@example.org