You may have received
an email or two from BankMobile
directing you to update your payment preferences regarding emergency financial aid grants as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. We want you to know these are legitimate messages and are not part of a phishing attempt by BankMobile.
There are a few points to consider:
- ACC partners with BankMobile as a safe, fast, reliable way for students to receive funds (i.e. financial aid disbursement).
- The College will utilize BankMobile as the primary way to disburse CARES/ Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) funds to students. If you do not currently have an account, we encourage you to set one up in the event Austin Community College District needs to transmit money to you.
- If you receive a message from BankMobile or have a BankMobile account, please check your refund preference by logging into refundselection.com and under Refunds, select Refund Preferences.
- The email was not a confirmation that you will receive CARES/HEERF funds. BankMobile’s intentions, while good, may have been a bit confusing. Their request was for you to update your BankMobile account in the event that you are approved for CARES/HEERF funds.
- You should receive a follow-up message from BankMobile providing clarity and an apology.
CARES Act/HEERF Disbursement:
To qualify for HEERF assistance, students must complete a FAFSA and meet eligibility criteria set forth by the Department of Education. As always, our Student Emergency Fund also will be available to students who do not meet the DOE’s eligibility guidelines. Our goal is to disburse funds by late next week
To receive your funds more quickly here are a couple of things you can do to get ready:
- Complete the current FAFSA. Once your FAFSA is complete, it will display in our system in 3-4 business days. If this feels overwhelming to you, don’t worry, we have partners who can help. Create a profile and schedule an appointment with the Trellis Group to get one-on-one assistance with completing the FAFSA or visit austincc.edu/fatv for helpful videos available 24/7.
- Set up your BankMobile account and/or select your refund preference. This will be the fastest way to receive your funds. Otherwise, ACC’s business office will mail a hard copy check to your address on record.
Thank you for your patience, please continue to check your ACC email for updates. We are here to help.
Shasta Buchanan, Ed.D
Vice President, Student Affairs