Important Information from the School Nurse
What Happens if I Have a COVID-19 Symptom or a Fever?
If your temperature is 99.0 to 99.9:
1. The temperature will be recorded on the screening form.
2. If symptomatic for any illness or are “not feeling well”, you may
elect to go home for the day, monitor your own temp and call your healthcare
3. If no symptoms, you should continuously wear a mask and
remain in your personal work space until the temp is rechecked in 30
minutes. (This person should not work with food prep until temp is proven
normal.) Both temps will be documented on the temp log.
4. The school RN will be called as soon as a temp of 99 or higher is discovered or if any CoVID-19 symptoms are present.
If your temperature is at 100 or higher:
1. You will be asked the CoVID-19 screening questions (fever, cough, trouble breathing, headache, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, loss of sense of smell or taste) or possible
2. With or without CoVID symptoms, GO HOME IMMEDIATELY. Get a copy
Go home and call your HCP for advice.
3. Your school RN will call you before you leave your school campus.
4. IF you have a real reason to believe temp is incorrect (such as coming inside
from a hot climate), It can be rechecked immediately with an oral thermometer by the RN or in 15 minutes with a forehead scanner . (You should wear a mask, wait in a
separate area, away from others, having nothing to eat or drink, for
recheck.) If temp remains at 100 or increases, follow steps above.
The RN will advise on all students and employees who are sent home
with CoVID-19 symptoms BEFORE THEY RETURN TO SCHOOL OR
The following minimum requirements must be met before returning to
school or work if a student or employee has CoVID-19 symptoms:
1. At least 10 days must have passed since the employee first had symptoms.
2. Fever-free for 3 days (72 hours) without taking medicine for fever.
3. Other symptoms must be improved.
4. Documentation of a negative CoVID-19 test result AND fever-free
for 24 hours without taking medicine for fever and felt well for 24 hours.
IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR TEMPERATURE OR OTHER
SYMPTOMS, PLEASE CONTACT THE SCHOOL NURSE IMMEDIATELY.