MTSS at CECW
Dear CECW Parents & Guardians,
I hope these first few weeks of school have been going smoothly for you and your student(s)! Now that we are almost to September, I wanted to take some time to discuss MTSS at CECW to provide you with an understanding of how we support individual students through structured intervention, how you can engage in that process, and how you can remain informed about your student’s progress.
CECW is committed to supporting the academic progress of all students. Many students successfully learn at school with universal instructional practices; however, some students need extra or intensive support in order to succeed. Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) is a framework that helps schools and teachers give all students the support they need to learn, grow, and succeed.
The MTSS framework helps schools create ways to:
· Identify each student's needs and provide support as early as possible.
· Use research-based strategies and provide evidence-based interventions.
· Align supports to meet each student's needs.
· Regularly check each student's progress to know if instruction, strategies, and interventions are effectively meeting their needs.
· Adjust instruction, strategies, and interventions as needed.
· Include parents or guardians while developing and implementing support.
MTSS has three tiers of instruction/intervention and supports:
· Tier I includes the instruction and support provided to all students.
· Tier II (Supplemental) serves students needing more help. Additional instruction or intervention and support are provided to these students in small groups.
· Tier III (Intensive) is for students who need intensive support in order to succeed. Additional instruction, intervention, and support are provided to these students in even smaller groups or in one-on-one settings.
Every student's progress is assessed multiple times per year using several different sources to check whether their needs are being met, what additional resources may help them succeed, and then to adjust their supports as needed. The evidence-based support and instruction students receive within each tier is based on individual student data and will vary according to each student's needs. As student progress is assessed, your student may be identified as needing Tier II or Tier III support. Should this occur, please know that you will be invited to help us develop a plan for supporting your student at CECW.
When we implement MTSS, it helps us provide each student the support they need to be successful. For additional information or any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Rebecca Feilmann, Director of Instruction