The following components have been identified as primary strategy elements. Applicants will be expected to describe how their efforts will support one or more of the following:
• Targeted Public Housing Outreach … with priority given to applications focused on the greater East End St. Thomas Community.
• Public Housing Authority Relationship Development … to help support the Virgin Islands Housing Authority in efforts to restore safety and confidence to the residents of the public housing communities.
Eligible Applicants and Projects:
To fulfill the requirement of this grant, applications will be accepted from:
(1) social services-providing entities including non-profits, neighborhood associations, community boards, religious institutions, and schools; and (2) divisions/departments of the Virgin Islands Police Department.
- Outreach and Prevention Grants - priority will be given to projects reaching children during the early risk years (e.g., beginning around age 10), emphasizing particularly at-risk populations (e.g., young males living in housing communities, elderly residents, single parents), or identifying ways to promote youth voice around violence, crime, community policing, etc. Special consideration will be given to applicants proposing to carry out activities in the East End / Bovoni community of St. Thomas.
- Law Enforcement Enhancement Grants - priority will be given to projects that seek to further strengthen community outreach and engagement within the (public) housing communities where large numbers of violent crimes are occurring, particularly with respect to high-risk residents and vulnerable residents (e.g., children and elderly). Special consideration will be given to applicants proposing to carry out activities in the East End / Bovoni community of St. Thomas.
It is important to note that these will be
. Grantees will submit requests for payment for goods and services for approved budgeted expenses on a reimbursement basis only. Invoices for reimbursement must be accompanied by sufficient and accurate backup documentation that supports the expense. Expenses incurred prior to the grants start date or after the grants end date will not be reimbursed.
A total of $32,250 will be made available for law enforcement enhancement grants, and $16,143 for outreach and prevention grants.