Jan. 19, 2018
I am excited to send you this report on today’s meeting of the CMS board of directors. With your input, we took action on a number of important issues. Please review my summary and reply with any comments or suggestions. I will read them carefully and personally reply.
STRATEGIC PLANNING OUTCOMES:
The board voted to adopt the following mission, values and vision statements in addition to three organizational goals. Using Central Line you will soon be able to comment and vote on these outcomes, so please watch for details. You can also
to read the board’s background material that helped guide their discussion.
To champion health care issues that improve patient care, promote physician professional satisfaction and create healthier communities in Colorado.
- Leadership – We serve with integrity, using an open and credible process that is grassroots responsive to build consensus among our diverse membership.
- Collaborative and physician driven – We work with others to find common ground and solve problems. We also fearlessly fight for collective physician priorities.
- Evidence-based – We make decisions that are data-driven, membership responsive and patient-centered.
- Innovation – We embrace and drive change for better health and health care.
- Professionalism – We demonstrate ethical and technical excellence in the service of physicians and their patients.
: CMS will be the leader in making Colorado the best state in which to provide and receive the safest, highest quality and most cost-effective medical care.
The board also voted to adopt the following new goals for CMS.
- Professional Satisfaction: State-of-the-art advocacy will focus on member priorities to positively impact rewarding physician careers.
- Efficient and Effective Communication: Dynamic exchange of information with members will ensure timely action on their priorities.
- Organizational Excellence: Continued innovation of CMS will increase membership value and make CMS meaningful and relevant to a diverse physician population.
PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE:
Your board unanimously and enthusiastically voted to respond affirmatively to a request from Gov. Hickenlooper’s Consortium for Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention to conduct a multi-specialty facilitation to generate consensus ideas from practicing physicians statewide on a future course to help end the opioid crisis. The board will ask the CMS Prescription Drug Abuse Committee to take immediate action on this initiative. Please
to review the Consortium’s request and
to review the board’s background material.
CENTRAL LINE POLICY PROPOSALS ON MEDICAID FEE DISPUTES AND A MARIJUANA POSITION UPDATE:
After hearing from hundreds of members on Central Line,
the board took action on proposals related to Medicaid fee disputes and our position on marijuana. Be on the lookout for an email very soon from your board requesting input on the board’s decisions on these proposals. It will only take you 30 seconds, and your vote counts because board rules require reconsideration of any Central Line proposal when a majority of members disagree with a board decision.
FIDUCIARY DUTIES OF THE BOARD
to read minutes of the 11-17-17 meeting and approved council and committee appointments.
With best regards,
M. Robert Yakely, MD, President
Colorado Medical Society