Navigating the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000: Common Employer Pitfalls (and how to avoid them!)
Date: September 25, 2019 @ 7:30 am - 9:30 am
Speakers: Keith P. Burkhardt, Priya Sarin, Patrick Ganley
Venue: Hazelton Manor - 99 Peelar Rd, Concord ON
RSVP: Monday September 16, 2019
Navigating the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000:
Common Employer Pitfalls (and how to avoid them!)
In this seminar we explore practical and strategic approaches to address common Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA) violations and risks associated with non-compliance.
1.Hours of Work
- What records must be kept?
- How to manage and track hours in the world of “remote work”.
2. Overtime Pay
- Who is (and is not) entitled to overtime pay?
- How to effectively use overtime agreements in your workplace.
- When is an “independent contractor” actually an employee?
4.Self- Audits and Ministry of Labour Complaints
- Understand the Ministry of Labour’s new self-audit process.
- Practical tips to handle a Ministry of Labour complaint.
5.Class Action Liability for an ESA Violation
- How class action litigation can lead to significant liability under the ESA.
- Practical tips to avoid a potential class action claim.