Outdoor Worship @ ESC Begins on September 27, 2020
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy Name.
After more than six months without the comfort and inspiration of in-person worship at Eastern Shore Chapel, we have been greenlighted to worship together again, albeit with a myriad of precautions and restrictions. Our premiere outdoor service will afford us the opportunity to return to community worship in the safest possible context. While certain parishioners will feel comfortable in regathering at the end of this month, we are respectful and supportive of those who prefer to wait.
My heartfelt thanks goes to our vestry, especially its Health Equity Committee and Creative Community Committee, for the thoughtful, deliberative and cautious path taken to regathering. If you plan to worship with us on Sunday, September 27, please read carefully the following information.
Looking forward, always.
The Rev. Cameron Randle, Rector
A GUIDE TO RETURNING TO WORSHIP SERVICES AT EASTERN SHORE CHAPEL
WHAT TO EXPECT:
After many months, we are finally able to have our first worship service outdoors at ESC on Sunday, September 27th at 10:30 AM. We will be worshiping outdoors throughout the fall as long as weather permits.
Thanks to your responses to our recent survey, we know that there are a number of parishioners who plan to attend our first outdoor service and many others who will probably attend as time goes on. It will be so good to be able to see each other and worship again in person!
The planning for our re-gathering has purposely been done very cautiously as we learn more about Covid-19 in general, and specifically, how it is affecting our community of Virginia Beach.
The Clergy and Vestry unanimously have supported and approved our specific plans for re-gathering. In doing so, we are following Bishop Haynes’ requirements and the recommendations of the CDC and the Virginia Dept. of Health. We are happy to say that Bishop Haynes has reviewed and approved our plans!
While worshiping together is wonderful, we want to assure you that your safety during this time of Covid-19 is paramount!
- DATE: Sunday, September 27th at 10:30 AM
- LOCATION: Lawn adjacent to the Francis Garden (large flat, grassy area between the West end of the sanctuary and the Parish Day School and playground.)
- PHYSICAL (SOCIAL) DISTANCING of 6 feet will be observed
- MASKS: wearing of masks will be required at all times, including while approaching, exiting and during the worship service.
- ACCESS: one entrance only (from parking lot) then via the brick walkway leading to the breezeway, then down steps (or ramp) into the Francis Garden area.
- SEATING: please bring your own lawn chairs; areas for chairs will be clearly marked. If you are unable to bring a lawn chair or have difficulty carrying chairs, we will have some lawn chairs available.
- MUSIC: no choral or congregational singing; other music per our Director of Music, Dr. Martin Sunderland
- COMMUNION: will be offered using individual communion kits
- SCREENING: during your approach, medical personnel will ask a very brief series of health screening questions; temperature will be taken on all attendees; several standing hand sanitizers will be available at the entrance
- BULLETINS: will be individually handed to you by a gloved usher
- OFFERING: tables with baskets will be available to simply drop in your offering (non-touch)
- USHERS: will guide you to the marked seating area
- SANITATION: all surfaces will have been sanitized prior to worship service
- RESTROOMS: available via entrance from breezeway.
- DISMISSAL/EXIT: at end of service, ushers will guide parishioners out while maintaining appropriate physical distancing; exit will be the reverse of how you came in.
Will you be attending the service on 9/27? If so, how many will be in your party? Will you need a lawn chair(s)? Please advise us at 757-428-6763 or email@example.com
God bless! We look forward to worshipping with you soon!
Dan McCready, MD
Fiona Hawley, RN
Vestry Health Equity Committee Co-Chairs