Healthcare Management Administrators, Inc. (HMA) continues to closely monitor the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus. As the situation continues to be incredibly fluid, our commitment to providing high-quality service to you and your members has never been more important. While this is a rapidly unfolding situation, we do not expect any service interruption due to COVID-19 and we would like to summarize the key elements of our readiness plan and response.
First and foremost, our top priority is delivering the right support to you, your teams, and the members you have entrusted us to serve.
- If you think you’ve been exposed to the coronavirus, it’s important to reach out to a healthcare provider. During this outbreak, doctors will request a detailed travel history from patients presenting symptoms of fever and acute respiratory illness. Telemedicine is an option presented through many of your health plans or an option now utilized by many traditional brick and mortar providers.
While the global impact of this outbreak is uncertain, we have activated our own Pandemic Response Plan to assure full business continuity and deliver upon our commitments without disruption.
- Our employees are equipped to work from home via encrypted laptops and advanced telephony systems to ensure there are no service disruptions. We already have a strong culture of telework and workplace flexibility that makes these adjustments seamless to you and your staff.
- All HMA employees and their families have access to virtual care services for convenient, high‐quality medical care and advice.
- We have counseled our employees to transition in-person meetings with you and your teams to virtual meetings where and when appropriate. We plan to make extensive use of video-conferencing and/or conference calls; whichever best meets your business needs. Your health is our number one priority.
- In the unfortunate event that one of your members should become infected with COVID-19, know that our claims system and claims teams are prepared to support claims submitted with ICD coding referencing the coronavirus.
HMA wants to ensure we can act as a resource for you to ensure you and your teams have the most up to date information regarding the COVID-19 virus.
- By accessing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, you and your teams can have instant access to extensive resources available regarding what you should know, how the situation is evolving, information specific to different audiences, and communication resources regarding the virus. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released a bulletin on February 3, 2020, to ensure that HIPAA covered entities and their business associates are aware of data sharing under the HIPAA Privacy Rule during an outbreak of infectious disease or other emergency situation, and to serve as a reminder that the protections of the Privacy Rule are not set aside during an emergency. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/february-2020-hipaa-and-novel-coronavirus.pdf
- If you are considering making changes to your leave administration policies (for example reducing the number of hours staff must work to qualify for benefits or extending their leave of absence policies), we encourage you to cross-check these changes with your SPD and to ensure that you’ve discussed these changes with counsel as well as your stop loss partner before moving forward. Should you decide to proceed, HMA will be glad to make SPD updates via an amendment to your plan.
- Our Client Success team remains your front line resource at HMA. Feel free to reach out to your Account Manager to discuss the situation and any needs you have where we can potentially assist.
- We will continually scan our book of business each morning as part of our daily operations review to monitor any special arrangements made with your business to ensure optimal support during this time of need. If you need something, don’t hesitate to ask.
HMA is committed to maintaining the high levels of service for which you’ve entrusted us to provide. We realize this event is creating a tremendous amount of uncertainty and fear and want you to know that we stand beside you and will work through this situation with you. Again, if there is anything we can do to support you, reach out to your Account Manager or me personally. I can be reached at
or at 425-289-5223.
Chief Growth Officer