Updated List of Grocery Store SPECIAL HOURS
Businesses and Individuals Can Minimize Food Waste by Donating
During the coronavirus pandemic, food waste and food insecurity have been on the rise, with panic buying being a primary contributor. The California Grocers Association wants to assure communities that shelves are being restocked and supplies remain plentiful.
Small businesses or individuals with leftover food can donate to the Food Bank of Monterey County, and they offer pick-ups. Accepted donations include nonperishables, refrigerated items (dairy products, produce, etc.), and prepared food (large quantities from restaurants). To arrange for a pickup, businesses can call (831) 758-1523 and ask for the Warehouse Manager, Mike.
Individual donations can be dropped off at:
- Food Bank for Monterey County: 353 W. Rossi Street in Salinas
- Shoreline Community Church: 2500 Garden Road (bins are in the parking lot)
- Open Tuesdays & Thursdays from 12:30p – 2:30p
- Calvary Chapel: 3001 Salinas Monterey Hwy (bins are by the patio front doors)
- Open Wednesdays & Sundays from 9:00a – 1:00p
- San Carlos Cathedral: 674 Cortez Street
- Open Sundays from 1:00p – 3:00p
- Salvation Army Sand City: 800 Scott Street
- Open Monday – Friday from 9:00a – 4:00p
Many stores are updating their return policies due to the coronavirus. If an item in your house has been over-purchased and cannot be returned, please donate it.