The evolving COVID-19 health crisis is top-of-mind for Valero and our stakeholders, and we are working to mitigate potential business impacts and maintain safe and reliable operations. Valero is part of America's critical infrastructure and we remain committed to delivering the transportation fuels and other essential products people depend on for their businesses and their families. As we address the challenges that COVID-19 presents, we rely on the strength of the company we've built.
Our COVID-19 Response Team is meeting regularly and working in close coordination with local, state, and federal agencies as well as health organizations, including the CDC. Our central focus is on the safety and well-being of our employees, their families, and the communities where we operate and live.
We continue to keep our employees and contractors informed with regular communications and updates. In addition, we have implemented measures to contain and control the virus, such as:
- Implementing social distancing practices
- Using remote work systems for a significant amount of our workforce
- Expanding the scope of our family illness leave to cover time spent at home caring for children who are unable to attend school or day care
- Establishing domestic and international travel restrictions
- Increasing frequency and type of deep sterilization throughout our operations
- Encouraging recommended best practices towards personal hygiene
We are blessed to be able to continue supporting our community non-profit partners as we all work together to overcome this extraordinary situation. The Valero Energy Foundation recently committed $1.8 million to support communities and organizations on the front-lines of battling the pandemic in cities where our people live and work.
We are especially grateful to our employees and contractors for demonstrating incredible dedication to our operations during this extraordinary time. Please do everything possible to keep yourself and your family healthy and safe.