We are writing to let you know that jails and courts are making decisions regarding precautions related to COVID-19. This is a fluid situation that is changing rapidly and frequently.
Here are a few updates to help you with your business continuity efforts (subject to change without notice):
Maricopa County jails
- All in-person jail visitations in Maricopa County have been suspended. However, jail pickups should proceed as scheduled since they do not require going into the jail.
- Video visitation is unavailable until March 23 as the jail changes their visitation system.
Maricopa County Juvenile Detention
- Visitation for non-essential persons including families, volunteers, providers of services, will be suspended for a period of four weeks with the possibility of additional extensions.
- Telephone contact with detained youth is possible by contacting the assigned Juvenile Probation Officer with a date/time and contact number, and detention staff will have the juvenile call them.
Gila County jails
- No changes as of today on jail operations.
- Gila County jails use video visitation. That will continue.
Pinal County jails
- No updates as of today. We will keep you advised as information becomes available.
Arizona Department of Corrections
- Visitation has been suspended. For details, https://corrections.az.gov/.
- Pickups should proceed as scheduled since they do not require entering the facility.
Maricopa County Problem Solving Courts (Maricopa County Superior Court, municipal courts)
- Maricopa County Superior Court will be hearing cases currently in the probation violation process, this applies to the Probation Violation calendar only (Commissioner Morton’s Wednesday a.m. calendar).
- New probation violation cases will not be handled in Mental Health Court for the next 60 days.
- Mental Health Court Review Hearing calendars have been suspended for the next 60 days. (Commissioner Morton’s Wednesday p.m. Calendar, and Commissioner Hoskin’s entire calendar).
- With regard to municipal/city Problem Solving Courts (City of Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, AJ) – The assigned Court Liaison for each of the courts is communicating changes based on the calendar, and should be contacted with any questions. The Court Services Contact List is available to you by clicking on the link.
- Housing providers have been asked to conduct orientations with case managers via telephone and to waive tours.
- We are not aware of any precautions that would cause any placements to be cancelled or delayed at this time.
Thanks for all you do and be safe!