Keeping a Positive Attitude
A positive attitude during stressful times is important, and in many ways keeps you safe. A negative attitude can lead to carelessness, complacency, taking shortcuts, or even serve as a distraction from a task.
Maintaining a positive attitude about your work and safe practices will not only make your workday more enjoyable, but your attitude will spread. When you care about safety, the people around you will too. This will result in a safer environment overall.
The Mayo Clinic suggests that a positive attitude impacts physical and mental health and has the following benefits:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Greater resistance to the common cold
- Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
- Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
- How do you react when someone close to you is in a good mood? What about a bad one?
- In what ways might you spread a positive attitude in your home or workplace?
- Do you think your attitude has an affect on how safely or effectively you work?
- What are your activities like outside of work? Do you take special care to maintain your mental health?