STEP ONE: ARE THEY ELIGIBLE?
Visit Outpatient Treatment for COVID-19 Program or FAQs for Healthcare Providers for detailed criteria. This includes:
- People who are unvaccinated or have only received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and are:
- 55 years of age or older, regardless of other health conditions
- Indigenous, and 45 years of age or older, regardless of other health conditions
- Pregnant (if potential benefits outweigh the potential risks to the fetus.)
- 18 years of age or older with a co-morbidity
- diabetes (taking medication for treatment)
- obesity (BMI >30)
- chronic kidney disease (estimated glomerular filtration rate, <60 ml per minute per 1.73 m2 of body-surface area)
- congestive heart failure (New York Heart Association class II, III, or IV)
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and moderate-to-severe asthma
- Residents of long-term care, designated supportive living (DSL4, 4D), regardless of vaccination status.
- Regardless of their COVID-19 vaccine status, immunocompromised patients, including but not limited to:
- Transplant patients (solid organ or stem cell)
- Oncology patients that have received a dose of any IV or oral chemotherapy or other immunosuppressive treatment since December 2020
- Patients with inflammatory conditions (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, inflammatory bowel disease) who have received a dose of any systemic immunosuppressive treatment since December 2020.
For clinical questions, connect with physicians through Referral, Access, Advice, Placement, Information and Destination (RAAPID).
STEP TWO: DO THEY HAVE SYMPTOMS AND A POSITIVE TEST
Review the new Paxlovid Testing Advice for Primary Care Providers regarding positive tests*. Also, confirm how long they have had symptoms:
Within five days, proceed to step three
Over five days, call the Outpatient COVID Treatment Program (1-844-343-0971)
High risk? Your patient may qualify for Remdesivir
*New Rapid testing at-home instructions.
STEP THREE: ASSESS FOR EXCLUSION CRITERIA
The AHS Paxlovid Outpatient Prescribing Clinical Resource details the following exclusion criteria:
- Hypersensitivity to components of Paxlovid, Pulmonary hypertension, TB, some transplants, and eGFR
STEP FOUR: ASSESS FOR DRUG INTERACTIONS
The AHS Paxlovid Outpatient Prescribing Clinical Resource details the drug interactions. Many drug interaction checkers exist but variations in information, recommendations, or categorization of risk/severity may occur. Thus, multiple resources may need to be consulted.