Lake Shore Drive Intermittent Lane Closure
Starting, Tuesday, December 8, the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) will be conducting repairs on northbound Lake Shore Drive over the Chicago River. Work will occur weekdays from 9am-4pm. While work is occurring, there will be intermittent northbound lane closures. One northbound lane will be open at all times.
This project is anticipated to be completed on Friday, December 18 (weather dependent).
Crane Lift: 100 North Wacker Drive
On Saturday, December 12, from 9am-3pm, there will be a crane lift at 100 North Wacker Drive. During the lift, the following will be closed:
- 100’ of the sidewalk in front of 100 North Wacker Drive
- 100’ of the curb lane in front of 100 North Wacker Drive
- 100’ of two traffic lanes in front of 100 North Wacker Drive
There will be barricades and flaggers in place throughout the lift.
IJKL Hoist Jump
Lendlease Construction will also be jumping (increasing the height to) its cranes and hoists on the following days:
- Building KL crane jump: Saturday December 12th - Sunday December 13th and Saturday December 19th - Sunday December 20th
For safety, no other production work will occur on site during these jumps.
Chicago Fire Filming: 615 South Wabash
Chicago Fire will be filming scenes for an upcoming show at 615 South Wabash from Sunday, December 13 to Tuesday, December 15. On Monday, December 14, Wabash Avenue, from Harrison Street to Balbo Drive will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic from 7am-4pm. Parking will be prohibited at the following locations to park essential vehicles and equipment:
- East side of Wabash, from Balbo to Harrison (December 13, from 7am-5pm)
- Both sides of Harrison, from Michigan to State (December 14, from 3am-4pm)
- Both sides of Balbo, from Michigan to State (December 14, from 3am-4pm)
- East side of State, from Balbo to Harrison (December 14, from 3am-4pm)
- Both sides of Wabash, from Balbo to Harrison (December 14, from 3am-4pm)
- East side of Wabash, from Balbo to Harrison (December 15, from 7am -5pm)
- East side of Columbus, from 8th Street to Balbo Drive (December 14, from 3am-4pm)
- South side of Balbo Drive, from Columbus Drive to Lake Shore Drive (December 14, from 3am-4pm)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Will Higgins (location manager) at 773-525-2326 or Antonio O (on-site coordinator) at 773-938-3358.
Photo Shoot: 300 South Wells Street
On Tuesday, December 15, North Six will be shooting photos for an ad at 300 S. Wells Street. Parking will be restricted on December 15, from 11am-6pm at the following location:
- West side of S Wells, from West Jackson to West Van Buren
Helicopter Lift: 111 West Washington Street
On Saturday, December 19, there will be a helicopter lift at 111 West Washington Street. The lift will take 30 minutes to complete. During the lift, the following will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- North Clark Street, from West Randolph Street to West Madison Street
- West Washington Street, from North LaSalle Street to North Dearborn Street
There will be barricades and police officers in place throughout the lift.
Helicopter Lift: 224 South Michigan Avenue
On Sunday, December 20, there will be a helicopter lift at 224 South Michigan Avenue. The lift will take 30 minutes to complete. During the lift, the following will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- Michigan Avenue, from Van Buren Street to Adams Street
- Jackson Boulevard, from Wabash Avenue to Columbus Drive
There will be barricades and police officers in place throughout the lift.
Brown Line Elevated Track Repairs
Starting Friday, January 1, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) will be performing maintenance on the Brown Line Elevated Track over North Franklin Street, between Hubbard Street and Grand Avenue. Work will occur from 8am-3:30pm during the weekdays and from 8am-7pm on the weekends.
Throughout the project, the following will be closed intermittently:
- Curb lanes and parking
- Franklin Street, between Hubbard Street and Grand Avenue
- Alley access
All work is expected to be completed at the end of March 2021 (weather dependent).
St. Regis Chicago Construction (formally Vista Tower) Update and Traffic Impact
North Field Boulevard
- North Field Boulevard, between East South Water Street and East Lower Wacker Drive has been reopened to vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
Lower Wacker Drive
- McHugh Construction is repaving Lower Wacker Drive, between North Columbus Drive and North Stetson Avenue. Work is expected to be completed by Friday, December 11.
Upper Wacker Drive (within Project Scope)
- McHugh Construction is tentatively scheduled to return Upper Level of Wacker Drive in front of St. Regis Chicago to the City of Chicago at the end of February 2021.
- The current no-left-turn configuration at Upper Wacker Drive and North Columbus Drive is expected to remain in place until February 2021.
For more information or to speak with the General Contractor for the project, please contact McHugh Construction Company's Senior Project Manager, Joe Kuna at email@example.com.
Helicopter Lift: 208 South LaSalle Street
Midwest Helicopter was hired to lift HVAC equipment onto the roof of 208 South LaSalle Street on Saturday, December 19, from 9am-11pm. During the lift, the following will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- West Adams Street, from South Franklin Street to South LaSalle Street
- South Wells Street, from West Qunicy Street to West Marble Place
- West Quincy Street, from South LaSalle Street to South Wells Street
There will be barricades and police officers onsite during the lift.
Chicago Fire Filming in the Loop
Chicago Fire will be filming a car crash scene at the intersection of Clinton/Fulton/Milwaukee on Sunday, December 13, from 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The following streets will be closed during the filming:
- West Fulton, from North Desplaines to North Canal
- North Clinton, from West Lake to 310 N. Clinton
- North Milwaukee, from North Canal to West Fulton
- North Jefferson, from West Lake to West Fulton
Parking will be restricted from Saturday, December 12, at 9pm to Sunday November 13, at 6pm at the following locations:
- Both sides of North Clinton, from West Lake to 320 North Clinton
- Both sides of West Fulton, from North Canal to North Jefferson
- Both sides of North Jefferson, from West Lake to 217 North Jefferson
- Both sides of North Canal, from West Lake to West Fulton
- North side of West Lake, from North Clinton to North Jefferson
If you have any questions, concerns or special needs, please contact Luis Perez (Location Manager) at 773-525-2326 or Antonio O (On-Site Coordinator) at 773-938-3358.
IJKL Utility Tie-ins: Lower Harbor Service Drive
Lendlease Construction is continuing its completion of IJKL’s utility tie-ins for People’s Gas, ComEd, Sewer, and Water Service on Lower Harbor Service Drive. This work is forecasted to be completed on Friday, January 8, 2021. Temporary street closures on Lower Harbor Service Drive are not expected. If a temporary street closure is needed, a flagger will be present to direct traffic.
Work is dependent on weather and subject to delays enacted by the utility companies.
Van Buren Bridge Structural Repairs
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) is performing structural repairs on the Van Buren Street Bridge over the Chicago River. Work will occur from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., daily.
While work is occurring, there will be a single curb lane closure. Work is expected to be finished by Thursday, December 31 (weather dependent).
Navy Pier CTA Bus Stop Changes
Due to the installation of Electric Bus charging units at Navy Pier, the following bus stop changes will take place on Monday, November 23, 2020 at 9:00 am
Navy Pier Terminal (west bay, north position)—Permanent bus stop relocation
- Stop ID Number: 14161
- Route Stopping: #65 – Grand
Navy Pier Terminal (west bay, south position)—Permanent bus stop relocation
- Stop ID Number: 758
- Route Stopping: #29 – State
Navy Pier Terminal (east bay, north position)—Permanent bus stop elimination (Combined into one bus stop, see East Bay, south position reference)
- Stop ID Number: 14160
- Route Stopping: n/a
Navy Pier Terminal (east bay, south position)—Permanent bus stop relocation
- Stop ID Number: 14162
- Route Stopping: #66 – Chicago, #124 – Navy Pier
Grand Avenue at Park Drive (westbound, farside)—Permanent new bus stop
- Stop ID Number: TBD
- Route Stopping: #2 – Hyde Park Express
61 West Erie Street Construction
On Monday, November 2, LG Construction will begin construction of a five-story, 28 unit apartment building at 61 West Erie Street. Please find LG Construction’s phase one construction timeline below.
- Starting November 16, LG Construction will be pouring caissons. It will take roughly 9 days to finish pouring the 12 caissons required for this project. LG Construction will be radioing concrete trucks on and off the site.
- Starting Monday, November 30, foundation work will begin. This portion of the project is expected to last three weeks (weather dependent).
Throughout the construction process, the following will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- 100' of sidewalk and curb lane in front of 61 W Erie Street
- The alley adjacent to the west side of 61 West Erie Street
There will be detour signs, barricades, and flaggers in place for the duration of the project.
IJKL Construction Update
Starting Monday, November 2, Lendlease will be installing structural geofoam at the IJKL site. Geofoam is a highly compressed thermoplastic that is used to fill-in the space between the top of the concrete deck and the soil.
The geofoam will be cut and trimmed onsite to fit a specific design plan. Cutting and trimming the geofoam might result in some debris being blown off the site. Lendlease will make every effort to contain this and clean the area surrounding its site.
The geofoam installation is expected to be finished at the beginning of December.
CTA Bus Stop Change in the Loop
Due to electrical vault construction, starting Monday, October 13, the following bus stop will be relocated until Monday, November 23 (or until completion of work):
- Clark at Adams (southbound, far side to nearside)- temporary bus stop relocation
- Stop ID Number: 1869 to TBD
- Routes Stopping: #22 – Clark, #24 – Wentworth
Façade Work: 160 North LaSalle Street
Starting at the end of October, Bowa Construction will be performing façade and cladding work at 160 North LaSalle Street. During the work, there will be scaffolding on the east, north, and south sides of the building.
All work is expected to be completed in June 2021.
Overnight Parking Ban Downtown
From now until December 31, overnight parking will be restricted on the following streets during the weekend:
- Both sides of Oak, between Michigan and Clark
- South side of Oak, between LaSalle and Wells
- Both sides of Chicago, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Ohio, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Hubbard, between Michigan and Wells
- North side of Illinois, between Dearborn and Clark
- Both sides of Illinois, between Wabash and Dearborn
- Both sides of Rush, between Grand and Ohio
- Both sides of Rush, between Erie and Oak
- Both sides of Wabash, between the Chicago River and Grand
- Both sides of State, between Kinzie and Oak
- Both sides of Erie, from Rush to Wells
- Both sides of Huron from Rush to Wabash
- Both sides of New Street, from Illinois to North Water
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Monroe to Balbo
- North side of Wacker Drive Wabash to Michigan
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Franklin to Columbus
- Both sides of Wacker Drive, from State to Wabash
- Both sides of Stetson, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Beaubien Court, from Randolph to Lake
- Both sides of Randolph, from Harbor to Michigan
- Both sides of Ohio, from Michigan to Fairbanks
- Both sides of Erie, between Kingsbury and Larrabee
- Both sides of Larrabee, from Erie to Huron
Chicago Police Department Commander Jill Stevens (18th District) and Commander Jacob Alderden (1st District) have ordered this temporary overnight parking ban to encourage restaurant and bar patrons to return home after dining out.
As always, please make sure to read all posted signage before parking your vehicle downtown.
Jane Byrne Interchange Closures and Detours
Northbound I-90/94 Mainline Improvements Begin This Week
As of October 1, all traffic lanes were shifted left on northbound I-90/94 approaching Roosevelt Road. The far right lane will provide access to the flyover ramp connection northbound I-90/94 to westbound I-290. This ramp will remain reduced to one lane between Roosevelt Road and Taylor Street until late December 2020.
Overnight lane closures will be required to facilitate these improvements. On Thursday and Monday nights, closures will start at 10:00pm, with occasional full stops for no longer than 15 minutes at a time beginning at 1:00am. All lanes will reopen by 5:00am Friday and Tuesday mornings.
Furthermore, the northbound Roosevelt Road entrance ramp to I-290 closed on October 1. The detour for motorists is below:
- Westbound I-290: head west on Roosevelt to Ashland, north on Ashland to access the Ashland entrance to westbound I-290.
- Eastbound I-290: head east on Roosevelt to State, north on State to Ida B. Wells Drive.
Taylor Street Reopened
Taylor Street reopened to traffic on Thursday, September 17, between Halsted and DesPlaines Street. Taylor Street closed in June and was used as part of the eastbound I-290 to northbound I-90/94 detour route while the east-to-north ramp was being reconstructed.
New features to improve safety, increase visibility, and decrease decision point and conflict from opposing lanes have been made.
On Tuesday, October 6, the Taylor Street entrance ramp to northbound I-90/94 will open.
Adams Street Bridge
The Adams Street bridge is closed from Halsted Street to Desplaines Street. The bridge will be demolished and rebuilt, anticipated to reopen in the Fall of 2022. The Adams Street entrance and exit ramps to I-90/94 will also close with traffic entering the interstate via Madison Street and traffic exiting the interstate via Monroe Street.
Detour routes for pedestrians and drivers are below:
- Vehicular Traffic will be directed south on Desplaines, west on Van Buren, and north on Halsted and then can continue west on Adams.
- Pedestrians should use the Monroe Street bridge as a detour route.
The Adams Street bridge marks the final major bridge closure at the Jane Byrne Interchange for the 2020 construction season. The new bridge will have two westbound lanes and wider sidewalks on both sides of the street, enhancing connections and improving safety for all transportation users in the surrounding neighborhoods.
Madison Street Exit Ramp Closure
The northbound Madison Street exit ramp will close on Tuesday, October 6 until summer 2021. The detour route for drivers is below:
- Continue north on I-90/94 to the Washington exit ramp, head east on Washington and south on Desplaines to Madison
One Chicago Square-1 W Chicago Pedestrian and Traffic Impacts
Although fencing is already in place for the sidewalk closure, pedestrians still have access to the sidewalk, but should exercise caution when walking by the construction site.
The Curb Lanes along Chicago, State, Superior, and Dearborn will remain a No Parking/Tow Zone throughout the project, to allow for demolition, and then the protected pedestrian walkway.
The sidewalk along the east side of Dearborn, from Superior to Chicago, has been closed to pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians will be rerouted to the west side of Dearborn.
Please stay tuned to Reilly Reports as additional construction updates and closures will be announced.