June 12, 2020
Dear Springfield JCC Members,
On behalf of the entire J staff and Board of Directors, we thank you for your unwavering support and patience as we have continued to navigate the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic during the past three months.
Today we want to share some important updates as the J begins a phased re-opening plan in accordance with Governor Baker’s timeline for the state.
As we begin to phase back into our programs and services, please know that your health and well-being are at the forefront of our decision making. Our reopening plans will follow strict state guidelines regarding safe and modified operations, as well as guidance from the CDC and local public health officials, to ensure that our reopening is safe and successful for you and our staff.
- HEALTH & WELLNESS: On June 8, we began offering outdoor group fitness classes on the J campus for our members. The response has been most positive and we are thrilled to see our staff reconnecting with J members. We will carefully continue to add more outdoor exercise offerings this month. We encourage you to check the Springfield JCC website and Facebook page for information on what outdoor classes will be offered and how to reserve a spot.
- Our indoor health and wellness facilities (including the fitness center, exercise studios, and pool) remain closed at this time. We are actively monitoring updates from state and local authorities on the reopening of indoor fitness facilities, and we will continue to communicate with you as changes occur.
- EARLY LEARNING CENTER: On June 29, the ELC will reopen operations on the J campus, and we can’t wait to see your children! In accordance with state regulations, many important modifications to class sizes, drop-off and pick-up procedures, and other health and safety changes will be going into effect. Our ELC families are receiving detailed information from Debra Cohen and her staff, outlining all of the changes.
- SUMMER CAMP: This week we made the difficult decision to cancel our traditional summer day camp programs in 2020. After reviewing the day camp guidelines released from the state last week, and carefully considering guidance from the American Camping Association, CDC, and medical experts, we concluded that the required program modifications would make it too difficult for us to confidently open a safe and high-quality day camp this summer. We know that this news comes with great disappointment for the campers, staff, and families that have been eagerly looking forward to camp, especially during these times.
- In response, our program staff is busy preparing a number of engaging alternative experiences to help youth and families stay active and connected with the J throughout the summer. Stay tuned for more information about specialty programming.
- VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING: During the past three months, the Springfield JCC program team has worked diligently to pivot from in-person activities to online connections. Bolstered by your positive feedback, our virtual programming will continue actively in the weeks and months to come, as we recognize that some of you are not yet ready to re-enter public environments.
As we move forward with reopening plans, we look to you – the families, community and staff who rely on us – to make the next chapter of JCC life one of resiliency and accomplishment. With due diligence, patience and compliance, we will open our doors in a safe way. We miss you and look forward to seeing all of you at the Springfield JCC as soon as possible.
Jonathan Goldsmith, President
Michael Paysnick, Executive Director