March 17, 2020
For nearly a month, the Village has been monitoring the rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus. We used that time to assess our procedures, supplies, and service delivery in order to be as prepared as possible. As we enter a period of efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19, we are participating in regular briefings with state and county officials on the matter as well as interacting with our neighboring villages to ensure that we are following best practices.
I am writing to assure you that the Village is prepared to continue providing essential services to the community during this challenging period. Our police, fire and emergency medical service providers are well-trained and have taken steps to ensure that we are here when you call. Additionally, our public works and administrative teams are in the office daily and ensuring that service delivery continues without interruption. Based upon current conditions, village offices will remain open to the public for essential services, and we would ask that you conduct your business by phone to the extent possible. However, if there is an immediate need to visit us in person, we remain here for you. Please be mindful that, if you are sick or have been recently, please remain home and contact us by phone.
Some of our residents, due to age or medical condition may be concerned about leaving their home for necessities during this period. If you fall into that category, please call us if you have a particular need. We will find a way to help get you what you need from the drug store, grocery store, etc. Several employees of Great Coast Commons have offered to volunteer their time to help those community members in need. That is what our close-knit community is about – taking care of each other in a time of need.
At a time when “social distancing” is strongly recommended, and frankly necessary, the dedication of our Village staff and the Great Coast team is greatly appreciated as we work through this challenging time as a Village of neighbors. As we approach the likely peak of the COVID-19 virus in the next few weeks, we wanted to provide you with an overview of the current status of services in the Village:
- Village Offices – Remain open to the public for essential services. Residents are encouraged to conduct business by phone by calling, 847-251-1666. Building permits and inspection services are available, as well as utility services. The Village website is: www.vok.org
- Primary Voting – The Illinois Primary is still scheduled for today at the Kenilworth Assembly Hall. The Park District requests that in-person voters are mindful to maintain a reasonable distance from other persons and taking proper measures when recently ill. Timely information regarding voting status is available at: www.cookcountyclerk.com
- Refuse Collection – No change in services. Republic Services has plans in place to maintain key service levels should staffing shortages occur. Republic Services is available by phone: 847-981-0091
- Park District – Public offices closed, programming suspended, and Assembly Hall functions postponed. Staff available by phone as needed. Information at: www.kenilworthparkdistrict.org
- Joseph Sears School – Offices and classrooms are closed and remote learning has been initiated. The building is closed to non-essential services through March 20th and fully closed from March 20 – March 27th for Spring Break. Updates are available at: www.kenilworth38.org
One of the things that makes Kenilworth unique is how we maintain the fabric and character of our village through relationships. As we all enter this challenging period, I appreciate your understanding and patience as we all make our best effort to slow the spread of this virus. Finally, please keep in mind our small businesses and newest restaurant, Great Coast Commons as many businesses are forced to temporarily close their doors. Great Coast Commons intends to remain open for delivery and carry-out and may be reached at 847-728-0101 between the hours of 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm.
Please feel free to call upon us if you need us, weekdays at 847-251-1666, or nights and weekends at 847-251-2141.