Dear Superintendents and Charter School Leaders,
I’m writing with updates on several COVID-19-related items that have come up since my last message.
County Freezes Waiver Process
The County of San Diego has informed my office they are putting a freeze on the local TK-6 school waiver process
. They will send formal notification today to those on their K-12 Education Sector distribution list. If you are not on that list and would like to be added, sign up here
Collecting Free and Reduced-Price Meal Eligibility
The California Department of Education has released information on alternate means to collect information on socioeconomically disadvantaged students for the purpose of determining the unduplicated pupil count for supplemental and concentration grant funding.
In 2020-21, local education agencies (LEAs) may complete an alternative household income form on behalf of a student’s household by collecting the required information over the telephone, provided the LEA documents 1) the date, time, and name of the student’s adult household member spoken to; and 2) the date, time, name, and signature of the LEA staff member collecting the information. Learn more.
Live Well Advance on Student Engagement and Attendance
The Live Well Advance on Student Engagement and Attendance on Dec. 3 will feature breakout sessions from the following organizations on topics of interest to counselors, social workers, nurses, and other staff members supporting students in schools; parents/caregivers; and youth. Presenters and topics include:
- SDCOE: Improving chronic absenteeism
- Access, Inc.: Developing career pathways and career academies for at-risk youth
- Promises2Kids: Supporting San Diego foster youth during a pandemic
- NAMI San Diego: Youth opioid response grant – lessons learned from community forums
- Blue Shield of CA Promise Health Plan: Mental health and coping strategies for youth during a pandemic
- United Way: Keeping students first amidst the pandemic-shifting priorities to meet emerging needs within an education collaborative
Thank you for all you are doing during these unprecedented times. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if I can be of assistance.
Dr. Paul Gothold
San Diego County Superintendent of Schools