Did you know that:
- Cognitive health includes:
- Staying sharp
- Being alert, and
- Having a good memory
- Cognitive problems are one of the three major reasons why some people with persistent, severe psychiatric disorders struggle with everyday life
- Cognitive deficits in schizophrenia predict functional disability
- Cognitive skills include:
- Speed of processing
- Reasoning, and
- Cognition is very treatable
This new Knowledge Builder module is designed as an introduction to the important topic of Cognitive Health. In this module you will learn about cognitive problems in people with serious mental illness, how they manifest, and what can be done to treat them. It features Alice Medalia, Ph.D., Professor of Medical Psychology at Columbia University and the New York State Office of Mental Health's Clinical Director of Cognitive Health Services.
CPI's Knowledge Builder modules are videos that provide basic information about specific topic areas. They are easy to follow and run from 10-30 minutes. If you've seen a "TED Talk", you are familiar with the structure. There are currently over 40 Knowledge Builders available to you in CPI's learning management system, with more under development. Topics cover a wide range of interests including clinical, programmatic, systems-oriented and even administrative.
To access the Cognitive Health Basics Knowledge Builder module: