By now we have all heard about courageous sheriffs, chiefs of police, city councils, and county commissioners who have taken stands against gun control and for the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms. The CSPOA applauds each one of them and in fact, we stand with every one of them. God bless these public officials who upheld for the United States Constitution and the respective constitutions of each State wherein they work and reside.
A brief review of just a few of these cases of extraordinary heroism:
- Sheriff Tony Mace, Cibola County, New Mexico, the Pres
ident of the NM Sheriffs' Association and President of the Western Sheriffs' Association, has not only announced his refusal to enforce recent gun control laws, but that he is willing to risk jail and contempt of court if that's what it takes to continue his stand for freedom. New Mexico now has 29 out of their 33 sheriffs standing against their own State's unlawful gun laws.
- A majority of sheriffs - and even a few chiefs of police in Washington - are leading the way to disallow gun control within their jurisdictions. Chief Loren Culp and Chief Roger Morningstar along with Sheriff Bob Songer are leading this charge against gun control together.
- Dozens of New York Sheriffs stood against their Governor and legislature regarding the SAFE Act, a gun control law that attacked the rights of law abiding citizens. Governor Cuomo threatened to remove the NY sheriffs from office. To make a long story short, the sheriffs are still there!
- Utah sheriffs (28 out of 29 of them) sent a stern letter in 2013 to President Obama and VP Biden stating that these sheriffs would, "trade our lives to protect the constitution." This statement sounds very similar to the Founders' last line in the Declaration of Independence, "we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."
- Sheriffs and many other officials - along with citizens in Nevada - are now pursuing a recall against their Governor for his (you guessed it) dangerous and unconstitutional gun control laws.
There are literally hundreds and hundreds of public servants standing for Liberty and interposing on behalf of their constituents, none more so than the Virginia sheriffs and many other officials there, standing against the lunacy of Governor Ralph Northam. Now Northam is threatening to withhold funding from all Second Amendment sanctuaries and to take away, withhold, or otherwise steal the pensions of sheriffs who do not enforce the recently promulgated gun laws. What a crook! Where are Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff when you need them? Let's make no mistake here, this Governor has already announced publicly that any unwanted babies would be put to death (murdered) if they were to survive an abortion attempt. Now he wants to steal the pensions of County Sheriffs for not going along with his unlawful, UN-American, and unconstitutional gun control schemes. The CSPOA wholeheartedly believes that Ralph Northam should be investigated for treason, conspiracy, and perjury.
We do so admire and support all of these aforementioned public servants for their valiant stands to Uphold, Defend, and Protect the US Constitution. But we feel it necessary to clear up one point that a few of our CSPOA members have brought to our attention. Remember that the Second Amendment does not GIVE us the Right to Keep and Bear Arms; it merely protects a Natural Right we were born with: the right to defend our life and liberty, and that of those we care for. We completely endorse the comments by sheriffs who have said that they will not enforce ANY and ALL gun control laws, not just recently enacted ones. We would respectfully remind all of our sheriffs in America that
ALL gun control laws that infringe the rights of law abiding citizens (whether recent or on the books for decades) deserve the same treatment as recently enacted gun control statutes: They should not be enforced.
Martin Luther King said,
"One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
The CSPOA believes this principle and takes it one step further: There is NO moral high-ground in enforcing unjust laws. No federal or state statute could ever be superior to the Bill of Rights. Jefferson called such laws "tools of the tyrant."
Not only should we never enforce unjust laws, but do as Madison and Jefferson professed in their Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions, that we should "interpose" our power to prevent our citizens from being victimized by government.
We hope all public servants will stay true to the purpose for which all government has been established; not the enforcement of all laws, but the preservation of Liberty. And whenever any government or its laws pervert the eternal laws of justice, we intend to stand against them and interpose on behalf of the people we work for. The defense and preservation of Liberty is the reason our jobs exist. We are the Guardians of Liberty.
"We solemnly swear to uphold, defend and protect the United States Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic."