Thursday, May 28
Meditating on the Word
This is the third day in a row where you are invited to experience a focused exercise of meditation and reflection on what God wants to communicate to you. This experience is based on our firm belief that the Bible is the Word of God and is accessible and applicable to the life of every believer.
- Slowly read the passage.
- Set a timer for 2 minutes and during that time ask the question: Lord, which word or phrase do you want me to focus on today? You may want to write down the word or phrase. At the end of the 2 minutes (feel free to take longer if God is leading you to do so) proceed to the next step.
- Slowly read the passage again.
- Take another 2 minutes to ask: “Lord is there something more you want to reveal to me through this word or phrase?” You may want to write down what you sense God is revealing.
- For a third time, slowly read the passage.
- Now ask: “Lord, what are you saying to me? What do you want me to know?” You may want to write down what you sense God is saying.
- Conclude with prayer, bringing to the Lord what you sense is His response to these questions. Thank him for His presence with you. Ask him to pour out his love through you today.
As the deer longs for streams of water,
so I long for you, O God.
I thirst for God, the living God.
When can I go and stand before him?
Day and night I have only tears for food,
while my enemies continually taunt me, saying,
“Where is this God of yours?”
My heart is breaking
as I remember how it used to be:
I walked among the crowds of worshipers,
leading a great procession to the house of God,
singing for joy and giving thanks
amid the sound of a great celebration!
Why am I discouraged?
Why is my heart so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
I will praise him again—
my Savior and my God! Psalm 42:1-5