- Today, the United Dairy Families of California, California Dairies, Inc., Land O'Lakes, Inc., Dairy Farmers of America and the STOP QIP organization announced a multi-phase process aimed at soliciting and analyzing industry input on California's historic quota program.
Included in this process is a series of meetings, starting later this month, open to all dairy producers and interested parties. These meetings are intended to solicit various pathways for the state's quota program.
This multi-phase process includes three key parts: The Think Tank, Producer Feedback and Analysis.
- The Think Tank phase is for information gathering from various segments of the dairy industry. This will include the meetings identified below, where producers will be able to voice their opinion and contribute ideas or concepts.
- The Producer Feedback phase will allow producers to comment and challenge the ideas developed in the Think Tank phase.
- In the Analysis phase, dominant ideas from the Producer Feedback phase will be analyzed for economic impacts and legal pathways to adoption will be determined.
This process will be implemented with the assistance of dairy industry economist Dr. Marin Bozic and dairy market analyst Matt Gould. Dr. Bozic and Mr. Gould will be conducting an economic analysis of the proposed ideas.
The first series of meetings associated with the Think Tank phase are as follows:
- Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 2 pm to 4 pm - Embassy Suites Ontario
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 9 am to 11 am - Heritage Complex, Tulare
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 2 pm to 4 pm - Turlock Ballroom
- Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 9 am to 11 am - Washoe House, Petaluma
About Dr. Marin Bozic and Matt Gould
Dr. Marin Bozic is the President of Marin Bozic LLC and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Economics at the University of Minnesota. His expertise includes U.S. dairy policy, risk management, and market analysis. Dr. Bozic is the architect of the world's largest dairy markets data portal at https://commoditymarkets.com with over 60 subscribers on four continents. Recently, Dr. Bozic co-created the Dairy Revenue Protection crop insurance program in partnership with the American Farm Bureau Federation. Matt Gould is the author of the Dairy & Food Market Analyst, a weekly subscription-based report for managers and leaders in the dairy industry. Mr. Gould holds a B.S. in economics from the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School.
About United Dairy Families of California
United Dairy Families of California is an all volunteer group of dairy farmers committed to creating a platform for sharing ideas on quota and the Quota Implementation Program (QIP). The organization is built on the belief that the California Dairy Industry is stronger together. Learn more at www.dairyfamilies.org.
About California Dairies, Inc.
California Dairies, Inc. is the largest member-owned milk marketing and processing cooperative in California producing 40 percent of California's milk. Co-owned by nearly 400 dairy producers who ship 16 billion pounds of Real California Milk annually. California Dairies, Inc. is a manufacturer of quality butter, fluid milk products and milk powders. In addition, California Dairies, Inc. is the home of two leading and well-respected brands of butter - Challenge and Danish Creamery. California Dairies' quality dairy products are available in all 50 United States and in more than 50 foreign countries.
About Land O'Lakes, Inc.
Land O'Lakes, Inc., one of America's premier agribusiness and food companies, is a member-owned cooperative with industry-leading operations that span the spectrum from agricultural production to consumer foods. With 2018 annual sales of $15 billion, Land O'Lakes is one of the nation's largest cooperatives, ranking 212 on the Fortune 500. Building on a legacy of more than 98 years of operation, Land O'Lakes today operates some of the most respected brands in agribusiness and food production including LAND O LAKES® Dairy Foods, Purina Animal Nutrition, WinField United and Land O'Lakes SUSTAINTM. The company does business in all 50 states and more than 60 countries. Land O'Lakes, Inc. corporate headquarters are located in Arden Hills, Minn.
About Dairy Farmers of America
Dairy Farmers of America is a national, farmer-owned dairy cooperative focusing on quality, innovation and the future of family dairies. While supporting and serving 14,000 family farmers, DFA works with some of the world's largest food companies to develop ingredients that satisfy their customers' cravings while staying committed to social responsibility and ethical farming. For more information, please visit www.dfamilk.com.
About Stop QIP Tax
The Stop Dairy QIP Tax Coalition seeks to remove the $.38 tax on every 100-pounds of milk that Grade A shippers produce in California. The Quota Implementation Program (QIP) was a statewide referendum in 2017 and its sole purpose is to collect this money from all Grade A producers and redistribute it to those who hold Quota. The Coalition's only goal is to end this assessment. www.stopqipdairytax.com