The Vermont Arts Council is now accepting applications for its next round of Artist Development Grants. The deadline for this current round is January 11, 2021.
Artist Development Grants support artists at all stages of their careers. Grants can fund activities that enhance mastery of an artist’s craft or skills and activities that increase the viability of an artist's business. New this year: Grants can also support teaching artists in developing the skills necessary to provide instruction in K-12 schools remotely during the COVID-19 crisis.
Funding may also support aspects of the creation of new work when the activity allows the grantee to accept a rare and important opportunity.
Eligible expenses for such activities include, but are not limited to:
- advanced study of technique or practice with a mentor
- attending a professional conference to build business or artistic skills or knowledge
- contracting professional services including photographic documentation of work, contract preparation or business incorporation, creation of accounting systems, developing e-commerce on a website, creation of marketing materials, etc.
- marketing, planning, purchasing some materials, or renting space for new exhibitions or performances
- adapting and responding to the current COVID-19 crisis
- travel within the United States
Applications are evaluated in three areas: impact, planning, and budget. Priority is given to first time grantees and proposals for rare or unique opportunities.
Who May Apply. Artists who:
- have been residents of Vermont for a minimum of one year prior to the application deadline and are residents at the time the award is granted
- are eighteen years of age or older at the time of application
- have submitted all required reports on any prior Council grants
- meet all of the above requirements and are applying as a representative of an artist group
Who May Not Apply
- Artists whose projects involve activities for which college credit is given
- Artists who have received any other Arts Council grant in the same fiscal year to support the same project
- Artists who have received an Artist Development Grant between September 2020 and June 2021
Grant amounts range from $250-$1000. The Artist Development program has supported 277 Vermont artists since the program began in 2009. For examples of previously funded projects, visit our list of recent grantees
Application deadline: January 11, 2021
(Future round deadline will be May 10, 2021).
*Please forward to others in your network who might be interested