1. The Battle Ground Chamber reached out to GVCC in July. For the last few years, BGCC has struggled financially and has been unable to offer a sufficient compensation package to hire and keep an executive director given the demands expected of the position. In July the Chamber also lost it's office manager leaving us without staff to provide day to day services or support to our members.
2. Over the last few months GVCC has been kind enough to offer administrative support while BGCC explored options on how best to move forward.
3. The BGCC established a transition team of Board Members (Board Chair Denny Waters, Vice Chair Laura Venneri, Treasurer Wayne Rivers and Board Members Ryan Kurtz and Amy Davis), who met with GVCC several times to talk about what a merger might look like. The transition team was concerned about BG and North County businesses getting lost in the context of a larger chamber such as GVCC. We believe we have figured out a way to alleviate those concerns while at the same time providing more quality services and supports for our members.
4. We have been addressing concerns about the merger with people in Battle Ground. We have spoken to people to assure them that BG Businesses and the BG Community will be served well under the umbrella of the GVCC. Additionally we are working with the City Council look at ways we can improve Harvest Days and make this event even better.
5. On Sept. 5th the BG Chamber Board voted to proceed with plans to merge with the GVCC and to recommend this change to the membership. A timeline was put in place to finalize plans by Dec. 31st, 2018.
6. At the October meeting, the BG Chamber transition team continued to work out the details with the GVCC regarding finances, data mergers and the design of a Battle Ground Chamber Council. Battle Ground's voice will be a guiding force through the council, serving in the same design as our current Board, but be under the GVCC organizational structure. Additionally the BG Chamber Council will organize traditional BG Chamber events including membership luncheons hosted in Battle Ground.
7. WE NEED YOU - OUR MEMBERS. As previously stated, it is the recommendation of the Board that we move forward with plans to dissolve the BG Chamber as it currently exists and fold in to the structure of the GVCC. Per by-laws the final step in this process is a vote by the membership. No decision is final until that occurs, please join us on Oct 24th at Mill Creek Pub.