In this time of gratitude, we give thanks for you. We value your patronage and appreciate your confidence in us. We wish you all a lovely Thanksgiving
from our CCI Family to you and yours!
Feeling the opposite of calm this holiday season? Feel like you're on fast forward?
You're not the only one!
10 Tips for Surviving the Holiday Hustle:
- Don't like ordering off the internet? Shop when others don't. Take advantage of retail stores' extended weekday hours (Tip: go to the stores after most kid's bedtimes)
- Pick up a variety of free priority mail boxes and envelopes and print your postage at home. (Tip: Keep the size of the gifts small enough to fit into the standard-size boxes). You can print postage on usps.com and stay out of those dreaded lines at the post office!
- Keep it simple. Do all of your holiday shopping at the gift card stand while shopping for groceries or picking up your prescriptions at CVS/Walgreens.
- Rally the troops and ask for help if you need it, it's ok! Rome wasn't built in a day and it certainly wasn't built by one person.
- Don't skimp on your Zzz's. Keep your energy high and your immune system healthy with 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
- Express gratitude.Thankfulness doesn't end at the last bite of turkey, take some time to reflect and be mindful of what you are grateful for daily, even if it's just over your cup of coffee. Gratitude increases happiness and motivation.
- Worried about those holiday pounds? Instead of sitting around talking about what you're thankful for, have everyone share that while they're out on a walk together. It's cold outside? Bundle up, you'll warm up while walking!
Find some balance. Take a break and give yourself time to sit down. Sit down, anywhere, but just sit! Sit next to the tree, in your closet, or with your friends and family. It's your holiday too!
- Volunteer. You won't regret this additional activity on your already too long to-do list. Wrap a gift to donate for a child in need, donate non-perishable food items or warm clothing items to a local homeless shelter or spend some time serving meals to those in need. Whatever you chose, serving others will help you slow down a little. Volunteering also counteracts the effects of stress and provides a sense of purpose.
- Laugh a lot, it will soon be over!!
Our roads are busy and although the sun is going down early, days are still long. It's important to be aware of the dangers of drowsy driving and to stay alert at the wheel!
70 million people are sleep deprived or suffer from sleep disorders and is a major contribution to car crashes.
Are you getting enough sleep? Adults need about 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night.
Stay safe on the roads and avoid drowsy driving. How?
- If you've been awake for 24 hours or more, don't drive. It's not safe!
- If you're feeling sleepy and know you have a long road ahead, drink something with caffeine
- Plan regular stops for short naps if you're on a road trip
- Try stopping for a break every 2 hours or 100 miles on the road
- Travel during times you're normally awake!
People frequently deny how tired they actually are. Self-check yourself for the following signs that you're drowsy:
- Frequent blinking, longer duration blinks and head nodding
- Trouble keeping your eyes open and focused
- Memory lapses or daydreaming
- Drifting from your lane
VA's New Health Coverage for Adults - Apply now!
Pulling your hair out over insurance coverage, premiums and deductibles?
Virginians aged 19-64 can now apply for low or no-cost health coverage
so they don't have to worry about getting sick or having an accident. After applications are accepted and processed, they can begin using the coverage on January 1, 2019!
Get more information at Cover Virginia and use the eligibility screening tool so see if you can qualify! If you qualify, apply today!
What's Been Going On!?
We've continued to enjoy fall festivities around Northern Virginia including Fall Gallery Walk, South Run Arts and Crafts Show, enjoying the changing leaves in the mountains on Skyline Drive, Messick's Farm Market Craft Fair, Mutts Gone Nuts, Holiday Craft Show, Battle of Bristow Station Anniversary Weekend and Luminary, Cox Farm Festival,
Temple Hall Farm Fall Festival and Corn Maize and local Veteran's Day Parades. In addition individuals have enjoyed indoor and outdoor recreation activities like Fishing,
Central Park Funland, National Harbor, Dave and Busters, Torpedo Factory, Bowling, Laser Tag, Top Golf, skating at a local skate park and
Zumba classes! We've put our Halloween decorations away for next year and are busy prepping our grocery lists for all of our Thanksgiving favorites!
CAUTION: We'll scare you silly. Our individuals enjoyed Halloween parties and some also had a spooky good time this past Halloween sporting masks and handing out candy!
Celebrating November Birthdays!
We recently attended
The Arc of Northern Virginia Goes HOLLYWOOD Gala as a sponsor earlier this month and had a blast while supporting outreach efforts in our community!
The Gala serves as a fundraiser and helps make possible all of The Arc of Northern Virginia's programs, services, and advocacy education for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
Tis' the Season to Give Thanks!
We took some time to gather and share the tastes of the season with our annual holiday potluck. Thank you to everyone for all of the delicious eats!
Everyone deserves a gift this holiday season, so come support one of CCI individuals by participating in our Angel Tree gift giving activity.
Everyone is invited to join in on the joy of bringing holiday cheer to our deserving individuals!
Where: Christmas tree is located at the main office
*All gifts should be delivered to the main office by 12/17/18 so they can be delivered to the homes. *
Yusra E., Marie R., Alicia P., Mohamed B., Michelle A.,
Rosemary M., Chrystelle M., Essense J., Anique P., Karima P.,
Stephanee T., Veronica T., Faustina A.
Safia Ali- promoted to F/T DSP 1!
Tynisha Jones - promoted to Lead CSS!
As you may know, we offer a 401(k) plan to all employees who are at least 21 years of age and have provided at least 1 year and 1,000 hours of service. The 401(k) plan is a Safe Harbor plan with options of pre- or post-tax deductions, and we have enrollments twice a year in January and July.
Attached is the 2019 Safe Harbor Notice. If you are eligible to enroll in January's upcoming enrollment, you will be notified later this month with more details on the plan and how to enroll.
Please direct any questions to the Human Resources department.
Did you move recently?
If you have a recent address update, please update your information with HR as soon as possible so your W2 can be mailed to the correct location early next year!
It's Flu Season!
In order to protect our employees and the individuals we serve, CCI is encouraging all employees to follow the recommendation of the CDC and get immunized for influenza. These are measures that we are taking as a health care profession to improve the safety of our facilities for the benefit of our staff and individuals.
Where can you get vaccinated?
with our Anthem Healthkeepers insurance plan, where all employees who are enrolled on the company health insurance can receive influenza vaccinations at no cost! For Prince William County residents, the Prince William Area Free Clinic has a stock of flu shots for patients without health insurance.
Thanks for working with us on this effort, and stay healthy!
Public Transportation Benefits for Medicaid Members
oing to a Medicaid Covered Service? Choose the Bus and ride FREE! Call 1-866-386-8331. You
qualify for free monthly transit passes!
LogistiCare will need a 7 day notice in order to get tickets to you on time.
The perks? Children, family and/or caregiver may ride at no additional cost. Public Transportation offers well trained drivers, wheelchair accessibility, direct fixed route access and bicycles can be secured during transit.
Give Back While You Shop!
is a convenient way to support your favorite charitable organization while you
shop online. Select the charitable organization of your choice and the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible orders.
Chat with The Arc of NoVA
Each Wednesday from 12-2 PM, you can chat live on Facebook with an expert Arc staff member who can answer any questions and help you find resources. To chat with The Arc, visit their
and click the "Send Message" box right under their profile picture.