Kind of an Odd Title isn't it? If Christ's follower's would honestly "Cease & Desist" from these following 10 things we would find not only a deeper church Unity but actual church Growth as well. Now I'm sure you could add a few more to this list. But please think through this with me. If you and I and a good percentage of others would honestly let God POSSESS US to the point of Ceasing and Desisting in these core areas, we would leave behind Nominal Christianity and live out a REAL FAITH. A faith that changes us in our core weaknesses. Thus Empowering us to Walk & Live as Jesus did!
1) Quit expecting the world to like you! Jesus said it would hate you if you lived His principles of love and forgiveness. Matthew 10:22 ... "You shall be hated by all for my names sake."
2) Quit throwing your own team mates under the Bus. We're called to build each other up, not tear each other down. In fact, Jesus said that our love for each other PROVES to the world that we are really His True Disciples. I Thessalonians 5:11 "Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another ..."
3) Quit acting as if repentance isn't necessary. It is!! The new testament calls us to repent 53 times. Acts 3:19 saying "Repent therefore and be converted ..."
4) Quit claiming you have a relationship with Jesus Christ when in reality you are carrying on an affair with yourself. James 1:8--"A double Minded man is unstable in all his ways."
5) Quit living like everybody's going to heaven and nobody's going to hell. Jesus said the path to heaven is narrow and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:14 "Narrow is the gate and difficult is the way ... and few who find it."
6) Quit using Grace as a License to live however you want! Jesus is Grace, so don't trample Him under your feet by your conduct, thought-life, or indecision. Not to decide is to decide! Romans 6:1-2 "Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?"
7) Quit pointing out the speck (tiny) in your neighbor's eye while ignoring the plank (large) in your own eye. Matthew 7:3-5 "Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
8) Quit thinking and acting like you are Better than those who don't see as you do. Luke 18:19 "No one is good, save one, that is, God."
9) Quit calling yourself a Christian if you are NOT able to love those who are different than you. John 13:35 "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
10) Quit Gossiping!! If you can't control your tongue your religion is Vain. James 1:26 "If anyone among you thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue, but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless."
Living In Him, By Him, Through Him,
Jim & Sally