Ken McLeod, policy director at The League of American Bicyclists, recently noted that “if current trends continue, America could see a record summer for cycling - especially as more people return to work and start commuting by bike.”
What are your future commute plans?
If you are thinking about commuting to work by bicycle, here are a few tips to get started.
● Begin with a distance you can handle. Just because you ride 50 miles on the weekend doesn’t mean it’s practical to do that kind of distance before and after work.
● Bicycle commuting doesn’t have to be “all or nothing”. Pick just one day a week to start.
● Always wear a helmet and bright colored clothing for daytime and reflective items for evening.
● Do a dry run on a non-work day.
● Be sure to have fully charged front and rear lights.
● Think about how you will clean up after your ride in to work. Baby wipes are great to keep at your place of work for easy clean up, even in the worst of the summer’s heat.