CARITAS the week of Saturday, April 21- Saturday, April 28,
here at Centenary. Please put that week on your calendar. We need a variety of volunteers to help support this mission. We have listed the types of volunteers that will be needed and feel free to sign up for any or all of these on the bulletin board across from the kitchen.
- Dinner: We need volunteers to provide, prepare, and serve a hot dinner for our guests. Dinner needs to be ready to be served at 7:00 p.m., so your arrival time is dictated by your preparation time. The Centenary kitchen will be available. If you need help with the appliances, we will try to pair you with someone who is familiar with the kitchen. This is a great event for groups such as Sunday school classes, families and friends, civic groups, Walk-In Ministry cooking groups, or other churches.
- Lunch Bag Prep: We need volunteers to prepare bag lunches for our guests. The lunches consist of sandwiches, chips, fruit, a drink (boxed juice or water), and a dessert. All supplies will be at the church as we will be soliciting donations of these items from our congregation. The duties include preparing the sandwiches and packing a bagged lunch for our guests. The time of day is flexible as long as the bagged lunches are prepared and ready the night before they are distributed the next morning.
- Overnight: Volunteers are needed to stay overnight in the church from 9:30 p.m. until the guests leave the next day at 7:00 a.m. CARITAS staff will be present at all times. You may sleep in a separate area of the church behind closed doors, but you are there as an additional safety factor. Duties are setting up the cold breakfast for guests in the morning, distributing the bagged lunches, and securing the church facility after the guests have left for the day.
ITEMS NEEDED FOR CARITAS:
Saturday, April 21, through Saturday, April 27, 2018
- Boxes of cold cereal (Raisin Bran, Wheaties, Cheerios, etc)
- Hardboiled eggs for breakfast (not before 4/18)
- Individual bags of chips, crackers, cookies, and nabs (to use for lunch)
- Individual box drinks (to use for lunch)
- Bottled water (to use for lunch)
- Sandwich bread (not before 4/18)
- Cheese for sandwiches (not before 4/18)
- Fresh fruit for lunches (not before 4/18)
- Lunch meat (not before 4/18)
- Popcorn and hot chocolate for snacks
- Plastic bags for packing lunches
- Magazines, books, stationary, pens, games, cards, toiletries, feminine hygiene products, small packages of tissues, small bottles of hand sanitizer
This Weekend at Centenary
Sunday, April 8, First Sunday After Easter
8:40 a.m. Informal Worship
10:00 a.m. Sunday School
This week, Dr. Bates will preach
"Easter's Never-Ending Work.
A Challenge from Bishop Lewis to Read the Bible with her in 2018
2 Samuel 13-15
2 Samuel 16-18
Heartfelt thanks to our Centenary Family for all your calls, cards/notes & prayers following the recent death of Richard's brother, Bill, on March 8th. We really appreciate all your love, care and concern.
Richard, Sharon and the Steele Family
We have two new opportunities for free theatre tickets. The first performance is "Lucky Me," this
Sunday, April 8,
at 2:30 p.m. and performed by the CAT Theatre. The play will take place at The Playhouse, located at 319 North Wilkinson Road. The second play is "Romeo & Juliet," on
Sunday, April 15,
at 2:00 p.m. and performed by the Quill Theatre. The play will take place at the VMFA Leslie Cheek Theatre, located at 200 North Boulevard (the theatre is on the lower level of the museum). If you are interested in any of these performances, see the bulletin board across from the kitchen to sign up, or contact Barrett Brown at
The 2018 Spring Geranium Sale with UMUMR/Shalom Farms is here!
We have taken orders for specific colors but cannot guarantee they will be the colors you ordered. Plants will arrive Friday, April 13.
Attention All Graduates:
If you or someone in your family is planning on graduating from high school or college this spring or summer, please call the church office at (804) 648-8319, or send us an email at
Sunday, May 20
, with the following information so that we can announce it in the bulletin.
1. Name (First, Middle, and Last)
2. Affiliation (child of, grandchild of, etc.)
3. School Attended
4. Future Plans
Thanks so much and congratulations graduates!
Altar Flower Opportunity:
At the moment, we have an OPEN Sunday for sponsoring Altar Flowers- on
Sunday, June 10, 2018
. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to remember or honor someone with flowers on our altar on Sunday, May 27. The cost is $20.00. Thanks! Sharon Steele: 804-912-2549 or
UMVIM Team Leader Training: Team Leader Training is required for first time United Methodist volunteers and mission team leaders. However, all interested persons are welcome to attend whether leading a team or not. There is no registration fee, however; we encourage participants to make an offering to the host church to cover the cost of morning refreshments and lunch. Doors open at 9 a.m. Continuing Education Units (0.5) will be provided for those needing CEU certification. Contact Cindy Ingroff at CindyIngroff@vaumc.org, and include the following information to register:
- Email address
- Primary phone number
- Dietary restrictions
The registration deadline is noon on
Monday, May 7, 2018. The training will take place on
Saturday, May 12, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Trinity UMC (903 Forest Avenue, Richmond, VA 23229.
Centenary Young Adults:
this Sunday, April 8,
for our Pub Theology event. We will be meeting at Champion Brewing Company (401 East Grace Street, Richmond, VA 23219) at 5 p.m.
Please Remember in Prayer
Mary Mismas (recovering from outpatient surgery)
Joe Speidel (Joe's mother is in hospice care in New York).
Mann Brown & David Pippin (in the death of Mann's father).
Frances Shaw (a friend of Sonia Topey-Smith, dealing with breast cancer).
Wendy Smith (her mother-in-law and husband's aunt)
Leland Lycette (severe back pain)
Riley Prawin (niece of Vic & Nancy Grand)
Jennifer (friend of Nancy Grand with lung problems)
Lou Rosypal (at home following a broken hip)
Ron Davis (friend of Vic & Nancy Grand)
Jo Judd (a long-time childhood friend of Sharon Steele's, recovering from a massive brain injury from fall off a ladder in Boulder, CO)
Merle Brown (recovering from broken hip at home)
Celebrating Birthdays in April
Nancy C. Cook
Photos of the Week!
It has been a beautiful week in the neighborhood! Everyone has been enjoying the lovely flowers that have been blooming in front of Centenary.
Visit Us: 411 E. Grace St., Richmond, VA 23219