1) Haven’t heard anything from the coach or school?
- The coach isn’t interested yet (Sometimes silence is as meaningful as chatter).
2) Received questionnaires in the mail?
- You may be on the coach’s radar.
3) Camp invites filling up your inbox?
- The coach may want to evaluate you in person.
4) Fielding emails from the coaching staff?
- You’re probably on their list.
5) The coach has been calling, texting or DMing you?
- You’re definitely a prospect.
6) Invited on an official or unofficial visit?
- You’re an important recruit.
7) Received an offer?
- Congratulations, you’re a top recruit.
Take a step back and look at where you fit into this hierarchy. If you’re not where you want to be with a particular coach, ask him/her where you fit in. It is fair to ask for a direct answer as to where you fit into the coach’s recruiting tier. As much as the coach wants you to make a decision when the time comes, as an athlete, you want an answer from the coach so you can recalibrate your path. Be an advocate for
- it’s empowering!