Rio Rancho Public Schools and Rio Rancho Police Department Urge Drivers to Use Extra Care and Caution in School Zones.
- Slow down. Observe the speed limit in school zones at all times. Be aware of all stop signs in front of and around schools. Drivers must come to a complete stop and proceed with caution, looking out for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Be especially careful when driving on neighborhood streets and around school zones. Always expect the unexpected. Observe all traffic laws.
- Motorists and parents need to pay attention to parking regulations in and adjacent to school facilities. Be aware of “no parking” signs, red zones, fire hydrants, crosswalks, driveways and double parking
- Be mindful of crosswalks. Do not stop/park in crosswalks and do not proceed through when pedestrians have entered a crosswalk.
- Watch for children on bicycles, especially at intersections
- Stop your car when you see lights flashing on a school bus. Red flashing lights indicate that the bus is stopped and students are getting on or off. Don't start driving until the red lights stop flashing. Be aware that a child may dash across the street.
- School districts are tasked to make and enforce rules at each campus to ensure the safety of the students and staff. Follow the school rules if you are dropping off or picking your child up at school.
- Please concentrate on driving, not mobile devices or other distractions.
- Please be a courteous driver.