Hello everyone, I hope you are having a great weekend. I'm taking my family for a week at the beach starting in a few minutes. My wife isn't exactly enthused about traveling right into the projected path of not one, but two, hurricanes. What's life without some excitement? At least the beaches won't be crowded, right?
Senate Transportation Holds Hearing on Diversity
In an historic first, an Illinois Senate Committee met virtually via Zoom. The Senate Transportation Committee met last week to discuss diversity in state contracts with the Illinois Tollway. While most lawmakers were complimentary of the progress made by the Tollway, others cautioned that there was still work to be done.
I expect to see similar hearings focused on IDOT and other state agencies in the near future. This was a favorite topic of the former chair and it's obviously a point of interest with the new chair, Senator Villivalam, as well.
DCEO Released Another $40 Million in Rebuild Illinois Grants for Capital Projects Across the State
On Wednesday, the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) today announced $39.5 million in new grants awarded for 27 capital development projects to support continued economic development across the state. The grants are being released through an allocation of $24.8 million from the Fast-Track Public Infrastructure Capital program, and with a $14.7 million allocation for projects located in Opportunity Zones.
Projects from the Fast-Track Capital:
* City of Beardstown - sewer line replacement, $1,002,000
* City of Calumet City - canoe launch and river walk, $1,400,000
* City of Carbondale - Evergreen Park ADA enhancements, $1,245,541
* Chicago Park District - various playground upgrade projects, $1,775,000
* City of Danville -realignment of the Jackson and Voorhees Street intersections, $1,252,279
* City of Dixon - street reconstruction, $1,720,612
* City of Harvard - wastewater system improvements, $2,000,000
* City of Kankakee - ADA sidewalk improvements, $1,800,000
* City of Jacksonville - water main improvements, $815,200
* City of Madison - maintenance building construction, $635,050
* City of Marion - maintenance building repairs, $2,000,000
* City of Pekin - street revitalization, $2,000,000
* City of Polo - stormwater/sewer improvements, $2,000,000
* City of Taylorville - roadwork and utilities repair, $1,551,000
* Town of Normal - water main replacement, $590,000
* Village of Beecher - water main improvements, $966,719
* Winfield Park District- various playground upgrade projects, $2,000,000
Recipients of the 2020 Opportunity Zone grants include:
* America's Central Port, Roadwork - Granite City, $636,755
All of these projects were made possible with the 2019 legislation heavily backed by the Illinois Chamber of Commerce.
* City of Centralia, Roadwork - $455,000
* City of Dekalb, Neighborhood Revitalization - $400,000
* City of Dixon, Roadwork and Enabling Infrastructure for Commercial Land Development - $1,000,000
* City of Du Quoin, Industrial Park Electrical Extension - $17,500
* City of Freeport, Streetscape Revitalization - $1,980,401
* City of Rockford, Bridge Repairs - $1,905,000
* New Pathways Investments Multi-Purpose Sports and Event Center - Centralia, $7,500,000
* Saline Valley Conservation District, Slaker/Silo Upgrade - $421,140
* Village of Maywood, Water Main Replacement - $382,375
Illinois Chamber Annual Meeting Sponsorship
The Illinois Chamber's Annual Meeting set for September 24th from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm central time will be virtual this year. The agenda includes an hour devoted to an "All Council Networking Time" and a discussion of Economic Development in Distressed Communities" featuring Charles Evans, President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and Timothy Crane, president of Wintrust Financial Corp. Susana Meza, Vice-President of Community Affairs of Wintrust will be the program's moderator.
Bronze Sponsor - $2500
* Fifteen virtual seats for your company at the Annual Meeting
* Acknowledgement on signage, website, and invite for the event
* ¼ page ad in the Illinois Business Leader September issue
* Add promotional materials on digital platform available for one year online
Partner Sponsor - $1500
* Ten virtual seats for your company at the Annual Meeting
* Listing in Event program and conference banners
Articles of Interest