Crane Lift: 633 N. Michigan Avenue
On Friday, January 29, from 8pm-12am, there will be a crane lift at 633 North Michigan Avenue. During the lift, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk on the north side of East Ontario, from North Michigan to a point 200' east thereof
- Curb lane on the north side of East Ontario, from North Michigan to a point 200' east thereof
- Northernmost traffic lane on East Ontario, from North Michigan to a point 200' east thereof
There will be flaggers and barricades in place throughout the lift.
Brown Line Elevated Track Repair
The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is performing maintenance on the Brown Line Elevated Track over North Franklin Street, between Hubbard Street and Grand Avenue. Work will occur from 8am-3:30pm during the weekdays and from 8am-7pm on the weekends.
North Franklin, between Grand Avenue and Hubbard Street will be closed to vehicular traffic this weekend (January 30-31). Throughout the project, the following will be closed intermittently:
- Curb lanes and parking
- Alley access
All work is expected to be completed at the end of March 2021 (weather dependent).
Gold Coast Music Video Shoot
On Sunday, January 31, from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Triptych Visuals will be shooting a small music video for an independent R&B artist at 120 East Oak Street. There will only be 5 crew members on-site and the artist will be lip-synching while walking down the sidewalk.
During the filming, parking will be prohibited at 114-120 East Oak Street to park essential vehicles and equipment.
Conduit Installation at Rush and Ohio
On Thursday, January 28, Crown Castle began the installation of new conduit in the intersection of North Rush Street and East Ohio Street. Throughout the work, there will be intermittent lane closures.
All work is expected to be completed by Friday, February 5 (weather dependent).
Loop Filming Notice
Kate Levinson Locations will be filming a commercial in the Chicago Athletic Association located at 12 South Michigan Avenue from Saturday, January 30 to Thursday, February 4. Parking will be prohibited at the following locations to park essential vehicles from 6am-8pm on the days the commercial is being filmed:
- South side of East Madison Street, from 75 East Madison Street to 97 East Madison Street
- East side of South Wabash Avenue, from 13 South Wabash Avenue to 35 South Wabash Avenue
Cold Water Pipe Installation: 320 South Canal Street
Starting the week on January 25, Enwave will be installing cold water pipes at 320 South Canal Street, during the overnight hours (8pm-4am). This project is expected to last two weeks.
At the beginning of February, Enwave will be connecting the cold water pipes at 320 South Canal Street to its cold water plant system. This requires infrastructure trenching to occur. While work is occurring, the southbound traffic lane on South Canal Street, from West Van Buren Street to a point 200’ south thereof will be closed to vehicular traffic.
All work is expected to be completed at the beginning of March (weather dependent).
IJKL Construction Update
Lendlease Construction will be installing façade panels for Cascade Park on the following dates:
- Saturday, January 30 and Sunday, January 31
- Saturday, February 6 and Sunday, February 7
During the installation of façade panels, Harbor Service Drive will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. A flagger will be on-site while work is occurring and the street will reopen during the evenings.
Additionally, Lendlease is currently installing structural geofoam at the IJKL site. Geofoam is a highly compressed thermoplastic that is used to fill-in the space between the top of the concrete deck and the soil.
The geofoam will be cut and trimmed onsite to fit a specific design plan. Cutting and trimming the geofoam might result in some debris being blown off the site. Lendlease will make every effort to contain this and clean the area surrounding its site.
The geofoam installation is expected to be finished at the beginning of February.
Streeterville Filming Notice
On Tuesday, January 2, from 8am-6pm, Chicago Fire will be filming scenes for an upcoming show on East Grand Avenue, between Lake Shore Drive and North Streeter Drive. Pyrotechnics and other special effects will not be used while shooting the scene.
Vehicular traffic will be prohibited intermittently during filming at the following locations:
- East Grand Avenue, from Lake Shore Drive to North Streeter Drive
- North Streeter Drive, from East Grand Avenue to East Illinois Street
Parking will be prohibited at the following locations to park essential vehicles and equipment:
- South side of Grand, from Streeter to 536 E Grand (Monday, February 1, from 7am-5pm)
- Both sides of Illinois, from Streeter to LSD (Tuesday, February 2, from 3am-6pm)
- Both sides of Streeter, from Illinois to Grand (Tuesday, February 2, from 3am-6pm)
- Both sides of Grand, from Streeter to LSD (Tuesday, February 2, from 3am-6pm)
- South side of Grand, from Streeter, to 536 E Grand (Wednesday, February 3, from 7am-5pm)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Luis Perez (location manager) at 773-525-2326 or Antonio O (on-site coordinator) at 773-938-3358.
Loop Film Notice: 600 South Columbus Drive
On Tuesday, February 2, from 10am-11:59pm, TVM Productions will be filming scenes for a TV series at 600 S. Columbus Drive. During the filming, parking on both sides of South Columbus, from East Monroe to East Balbo will be restricted to park essential vehicles and equipment.
New Construction: 609 West Randolph Street
Construction of a 15-story commercial building at 609 West Randolph Street began in mid-January. Throughout the duration of the project, the following will be closed:
- Curb/Traffic lane and sidewalk on south side of West Randolph, from North Jefferson to 621 West Randolph
There will be a canopy with a concrete crash wall and plywood enclosure for pedestrian use in the closed traffic lane on West Randolph, from North Jefferson to 621 West Randolph.
There will be detour signs, barricades, and flaggers in place for the duration of the project. This project is expected to be completed at the beginning of 2022 (weather dependent).
Demolition: 16-22 West Erie Street
Earlier this month, Atlas Demolition began demolition of 16-22 West Erie Street. Earlier this week, Atlas began to install a pedestrian canopy on the sidewalk in front of 16-22 West Erie Street and exterior demolition will begin immediately thereafter. The project is expected to be completed by mid-February (weather dependent).
Upper Wacker Drive Traffic Reconfiguration
Now that the majority of construction at St. Regis Chicago (formerly Vista Tower) located at 363 East Wacker Drive is completed and residents occupy the building, the traffic pattern on Upper Wacker Drive, between North Columbus Drive and Lake Shore Drive has returned to the pre-construction traffic configuration.
On Thursday, January 21 at 2:00 p.m., McHugh Construction completed the following traffic pattern changes:
- The south side of Upper Wacker Drive, between North Columbus Drive and the turnaround in front of St. Regis Chicago will return to a one-way eastbound thoroughfare. The turnaround will connect motorists to a one-way westbound stretch of Upper Wacker Drive.
- The “No Left Turn” restriction for westbound motorists at Upper Wacker Drive and Columbus will be removed. Motorists traveling westbound on Upper Wacker Drive will be able to turn southbound onto North Columbus Drive. Westbound motorists are prohibited from making a u-turn at Upper Wacker Drive and Columbus onto Lower Wacker Drive.
While McHugh Construction is completing the installation of concrete fill-ins and brick pavers, portions of the street and sidewalk on Upper Wacker Drive in front of St. Regis Chicago will be closed and fenced off. A lane of traffic will be open at all times. This work is expected to be completed by the end of February (weather dependent).
For more information or to speak with the General Contractor for the project, please contact McHugh Construction Company's Senior Project Manager, Joe Kuna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aon Plaza Renovations
Renovations on the Aon Plaza located at 200 East Randolph Street began in December 2020. Throughout the project, the sidewalk on Upper East Randolph Street in front of the plaza, and on Lower East Randolph Street, will be reduced to 6’.
The project is expected to be completed by August 2021 (weather dependent).
Construction at 61 West Erie Street
In November 2020, LG Construction began construction of a five-story, 28 unit apartment building at 61 West Erie Street. Please find LG Construction’s phase two construction timeline below.
- Second floor precast concrete walls and floors are being installed the week of January 25.
- A small crane will be placed in the traffic lane in front of 61 W. Erie Street from Monday, February 1 to Friday, February 5. The crane will be removed while work is not occurring and the traffic lane will reopen.
Throughout the construction process, the following will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- 100' of sidewalk and curb lane in front of 61 W. Erie Street
- The alley adjacent to the west side of 61 W. Erie Street
There will be detour signs, barricades, and flaggers in place for the duration of the project.
Façade Work: 160 North LaSalle Street
Starting at the end of October, Bowa Construction will be performing façade and cladding work at 160 North LaSalle Street. During the work, there will be scaffolding on the east, north, and south sides of the building.
All work is expected to be completed in June 2021.
Overnight Parking Ban Downtown
From now until January 31, overnight parking will be restricted on the following streets during the weekend:
- Both sides of Oak, between Michigan and Clark
- South side of Oak, between LaSalle and Wells
- Both sides of Chicago, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Ohio, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Hubbard, between Michigan and Wells
- North side of Illinois, between Dearborn and Clark
- Both sides of Illinois, between Wabash and Dearborn
- Both sides of Rush, between Grand and Ohio
- Both sides of Rush, between Erie and Oak
- Both sides of Wabash, between the Chicago River and Grand
- Both sides of State, between Kinzie and Oak
- Both sides of Erie, from Rush to Wells
- Both sides of Huron from Rush to Wabash
- Both sides of New Street, from Illinois to North Water
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Monroe to Balbo
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Wabash to Michigan
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Franklin to Columbus
- Both sides of Wacker Drive, from State to Wabash
- Both sides of Stetson, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Beaubien Court, from Randolph to Lake
- Both sides of Randolph, from Harbor to Michigan
- Both sides of Ohio, from Michigan to Fairbanks
- Both sides of Erie, between Kingsbury and Larrabee
- Both sides of Larrabee, from Erie to Huron
As always, please make sure to read all posted signage before parking your vehicle downtown.
Jane Byrne Interchange Closures and Detours
As of Thursday, January 21, the ramp from northbound 1-90/94 to eastbound Ida B. Wells Drive will close for approximately one week starting at 1: 00 a.m.
The closure is necessary to remove a temporary pier column to accommodate construction of a new outbound collector-distributor road. The new design will improve safety, efficiency and reduce conflict points by relocating the left-hand entrance ramps at Jackson and Adams, along with separating the exit ramps to Washington Boulevard, Lake, Madison, and Randolph from mainline traffic.
The Illinois Department of Transportation announced that four reconstructed ramps will open at the Jane Byrne Interchange as of Tuesday, Dec. 15, weather permitting. The completion of the ramps marks a major milestone as all 11 ramps have been completely reconstructed or are currently under construction.
The following ramps are now open:
- Canal Street entrance ramp to outbound Ida B. Wells Drive
- Inbound Kennedy Expressway (Interstate 90/94) ramp to Taylor Street
- The exit ramp was relocated to just north of Adams Street and reconfigured to reduce conflict from inbound lanes.
- Inbound Kennedy ramp to inbound Ida B. Wells
- The exit ramp was reconfigured to reduce conflict from southbound lanes.
- Outbound Ida B. Wells ramp to outbound Dan Ryan Expressway (Interstate 90/94)
- The entrance ramp was reconfigured, and access was moved to the right lane. While ramp construction is completed, a temporary detour will bypass ongoing construction along the outbound Ryan. A signed detour will direct Wells to Ryan ramp traffic to continue to Union Street, through two traffic signals at Taylor Street and Roosevelt Road, to connect to the outbound Ryan via the Roosevelt Road ramp.
- Motorists should be aware of the change and anticipate some delays the first few days of the configuration.
As of this month, 27 of the 35 project components have been completed. When the project reaches its anticipated 2022 completion date, the improved conditions, increased safety and enhanced traveling experience will be clear to all who use the national transportation hub known as the Jane Byrne Interchange. For more information about the Jane Byrne Interchange project, please visit janebyrneinterchange.org.
One Chicago Square-1 W Chicago Pedestrian and Traffic Impacts
Although fencing is already in place for the sidewalk closure, pedestrians still have access to the sidewalk, but should exercise caution when walking by the construction site.
The Curb Lanes along Chicago, State, Superior, and Dearborn will remain a No Parking/Tow Zone throughout the project, to allow for demolition, and then the protected pedestrian walkway.
The sidewalk along the east side of Dearborn, from Superior to Chicago, has been closed to pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians will be rerouted to the west side of Dearborn.
Please stay tuned to Reilly Reports as additional construction updates and closures will be announced.