OUT & ABOUT
Published August 9, 2018
Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.
Plan Your Chincoteague Island Getaway on the
2018 Oyster Festival News!
- Oyster Festival tickets are now available for purchase. All you can eat full menu and appetizers featuring local oysters and much more! Held at Tom's Cove Park 8128 Beebe Road on Oct 6 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. To order tickets call 757-336-6161 or Visit.
- Be an Oyster Festival Sponsor! For only $100, have your business name on volunteer shirts, Facebook/Twitter, Oyster Festival hand-outs, Chincoteague Chamber website and Chincoteague Oyster Festival website. Call 757-336-6161 for more information.
Aug 14 - 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. U.S. Coast Guard Chincoteague & American Red Cross are hosting a blood drive. 3823 Main Street. Donors are needed for their lifesaving mission.
- 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society hosts the Inaugural Crab Crackin' at Ker Place 69 Market Street. Event is a fundraiser for the reconstruction of the dock, piers, and bulkhead at Onancock's Hopkins & Bro. store that is owned by the Historical Society. Live music, all you can eat steamed crabs, crab and shrimp boil, bbq and more. Tickets are $50.00 each. To purchase a ticket call 757-787-8012 or
Save the Date
Aug - 24
- Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce's CRUSH FRIDAY History Lovers event. 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 6733 Maddox Blvd. 96.5 CTG live broadcasting from 10:00 a.m. - noon. Captain Timothy Hill House, Museum of Chincoteague Island and the National Park Service will be joining the fun!
Stuff theTrolley drop off location too.
NASA's Wallops Flight Facility
Aug 11 - 7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Astronomy & Night Sky Summer Series.
Astronomy 101 presentations. Held in the Herbert H. Bateman Education Center
8231 Beach Road 757-336-6122.
Aug 11 - 8:30 p.m. - 9:45 p.m. Enjoy the Perseid Meteor Shower. North end of parking lot #1
Night Sky Observations
- 5:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. Rocket launch of RockSat-X. The backup dates are August 15 - 17. The Visitor Center will open at 5:00 a.m. for launch viewing.
STEAM Lab - Every Wednesday now through August. 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math hands on activity. Ages 6 & up
Rocketry - Every Friday now through August. 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Learn about the Sounding Rocket Program. Ages 6 & up.
Tour of the Solar System - Every Saturday now through August. 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Take a tour through our solar system. Ages 8 & up.
Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
Herbert H. Bateman Center
Open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Aug 15 until Oct 1 - Calling all amateur photographers! Your picture may be the next winner of the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge Annual Pass Photo Contest. Submit a photo taken on the refuge over the past 2 years. Learn more
Lighthouse - Call ahead to be advised of possible weather or safety closures.
Open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Weather permitting. Closed noon - 12:30 p.m. daily.
Assateague Island National Seashore
Toms Cove Visitor Center
Open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Captain Timothy Hill House
Now open Fridays 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Home tour. Admission free but donations appreciated. Listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
Chincoteague Bay Field Station
Internships & Volunteer Opportunities Available
Summer Camp Registration Opens - D
ay & residential summer camps for ages 5-18!
Chincoteague Cultural Alliance Community Center for the Arts
Preregistration online or at Sundial Books (cash or check).
Aug 12 - 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Music lesson for beginners Guitar Part 1 with musician Troy Outten. This class for adults is limited to 8 students. $35.00 per session.
Aug 15 - 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Make a Sea Glass Pendant with artist Joan Devaney. Limited to 12 students. $45.00 & includes supplies.
Aug 17 - 19
- Weekend Oil Painting Retreat with Nancy West.
Free Kids Art Classes
- First Saturday of every month. 1:00 p.m.
Farmer's and Artisan's Market - Wednesday & Saturdays 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Additional day on Friday Aug 17.
- Saturdays. 10:00 a.m.
Aug 11 - 2nd Saturday Artful Flea - Every 2nd Saturday until October. 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Last Monday of the month. 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Aug 18 - 6:30 p.m. Island Coffeehouse - Featuring Donna Colton and Sam Patterelli. Folk and Blues with a twist of Jazz. $5.00/ $3.00.
Aug 20 - Monday Movies - 8:00 p.m. Hitchcock's Lifeboat. Enjoy free films outdoors under the stars in Robert Reed Downtown Waterfront Park. Bring a chair or blanket. Films begin at dusk. Enjoy popcorn and cold drinks at old-fashioned prices! In case of rain, films are shown at the CCA Center for the Arts - 6309 Church Street.
Chincoteague Island Library
Open Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat - 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Thurs 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Nancy's Book Club - 2nd Thursday.
11:00 a.m. Guests and new members invited
Island Readers' Book Club - 3rd Tuesday.
7:00 p.m. Guests and new members invited
Summer Reading Challenge - Program runs through August 16. Kindergarten age to 12th Grade welcome.
Young Explorer's Program - 10:00 a.m. Thursdays until August 16, Theatre Annex 4076 Main Street. Ages 6 - 10.
Tales for Tots - 10 :00 a.m. Thursdays until August 16, Ages 2 - 5.
Now until Aug 27 - Every Monday, 11:00 a.m. Free movie showing of Misty.
Chincoteague Island Arts Organization
4076 Main Street 757-336-6109
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Game play Mondays at the Island Theater Annex.
You bring the games, we provide the tables and chairs. Admission if free.
Museum of Chincoteague Island
Open Tues - Sun, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Now until Aug 25
- Every Saturday, noon - 3:00 p.m. Local decoy carver demonstrations inside the Miles Hancock Workshop at the Museum.
Now until Aug 28
- Every Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. Museum Lecture Series. $4.00 per adult, ages 12 & under free.
Celebrate at the Museum
- Venue spaces available: The Legacy Pavilion or in the Museum. Ideal for weddings, birthdays, music, lectures, meetings and social events.
- Watch Town meetings live. Just click on the "Watch Town Meetings Live" button at the top right corner of their website.
A new Emergency Operations Center Facebook page will be active during a storm or emergency serving the citizens & visitors of Chincoteague Island. Learn more
Every Tuesday and Thursday until Sept 6. 2:00 p.m. and 3:15 p.m. Narrated Trolley Tour about the Island's history. 1 hr duration. Tickets are $4.00 Adult, $2.00 Children under 12, under 2 are free. Tickets purchased at the Chincoteague Center
6155 Community Dr. Trolley Pony Express contact 757-854-8572
Welcome to our New Member
Straight Line Construction
Onley Community Health Center
20306 Badger Lane, Onley, VA 23418 757-787-7374
Aug 15 -
3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Special Back to School Days. Eastern Shore Rural Health System, Inc. holding Pre-K, Kindergarten and 6th Grade immunizations, well check/physicals, and sport physicals.
3062 Ridge Road 757-869-0294
Walk through Misty's old barn and tour the ranch! By appointment only now through October. Text Bonnie at 757-869-0294.
Capt. Bob's Marina
Every Sunday - Saturday - Capt Bob's Kid Crab Tournament ages 4 - 12. $5.00 entry or families - 3 for $10.00. Kid with the highest daily total of crabs wins $25.00.
Captain Steve's Bait and Tackle
Now until Aug 15 - Youth Croaker Tournament (ages 18 and under). Fish anywhere and weigh-in at Capt. Steve's. Biggest flounder has a reward of $50.00. $10.00 entry includes
t-shirt, free game of golf, and sticker. Benefits Chincoteague Elementary School!
Capt. Zack's Seafood
4422 Deep Hole Road
Aug 11 - 4:00 p.m. until you leave. Cruisin' event showcasing Classic Cars, Hot Rods & more. Call Will at 443-569-9002 for more information.
Chincoteague Bay Field Station
Chincoteague Family YMCA
www.ymcachesapeake.org 6395 Maddox Blvd, 757-336-6266.
Hours: M - F: 5:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Sat: 7:00 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Sun: 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Aug 13 - 17 - 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Amazing Arts & Crazy Crafts. Ages 3 - 5. $50.00/YMCA members; $65.00/program participant.
Eastern Shore Rural Health System
- 7:00 p.m. Meet and Greet. Food, fun and fellowship to welcome new professionals to the Eastern Shore! Location: Eastern Shore YMCA Onley, 26164 Lankford Highway Onley, VA 23418.
Kindly RSVP by Aug 8
to Michelle Surran 757-414-0400 ext. 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maui Jack's Waterpark
Aug 14 & 21 - Tump Tuesdays for locals- Catch the Wave! 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. 50% off late day admission with local ID of 23336.
Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital
www.riversideonline.com 20480 Market Street Onancock, VA 23417, 757-302-2100.
Aug 22 - 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Blood drive by The American Red Cross. Make an appointment and use sponsor code SMHosp! Visit
Riverside Eastern Shore Family Medicine is now located at 10085 William F. Bernart Circle Nassawadox, VA 23413, 757-442-6600. Offering well visits, medical screenings, onsite laboratory draws and much more.
The Pony Express Trolley
6150 Community Drive 757-854-8572
Aug 20 - 25
- Stuff The Trolley School Supply Drive. Support the students & teachers of Chincoteague Elementary & Combined Schools with school supplies.
Two opportunities to Stuff the Trolley:
Aug 21 - 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Chincoteague Island Library 4077 Main Street
Aug 24 - 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce 6733 Maddox Blvd
- 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Book signing with Paul Briggs.
Altered Seasons: Monsoonrise.
Virginia Living Weddings 2019
If you would like to submit your wedding pictures to be considered for publication, submit 7 -10 images by Aug 29. Couples will be notified by September if they have been selected in the Virginia Living Weddings 2019 issue. Learn more
Virginia Travel Post for August
Reach more visitors by adding your business listing and event info to
, the free comprehensive website for tourism on Virginia's Eastern Shore. For more info, email
Become a Member
Let us help you grow your business.
JOIN NOW FOR 2019... Call Theresa for details: 757-336-6161
Share your photos with us on social media!
Information described herein is not sponsored or endorsed by the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce, unless otherwise noted. Dates & events may be subject to change. For current information, please contact the event sponsor.