Opportunities to Volunteer
There are lots of opportunities to volunteer in our area and at our church. Some of those opportunities are:
Community Services League (CSL) Food Pantry
- Wednesdays from 9:00am - 3:00pm at Christ UMC. Contact Darla Pummill at 224-0403 for more information.
- We volunteer on the 4th Monday each odd-numbered month (Jan., March, May, July, Sept., Nov.). Contact Colleen Foudree at 478-8020 for more information.
Glendale Elementary Reading Program
- Monday through Friday between 9:30 & 11:30am or 1:00 & 3:00pm for one hour per week, during the school year, to listen to students read. A background check is needed. Pick a form up at the church. Contact Lyn Verstraete at 816-838-2575 for more information.
Glendale Elementary School Snack Packs
- Thursdays from 1:00 - 2:00pm at Glendale Elementary, during the school year. Contact Shirley Cottrell at 373-3687 for more information.
Harvesters & Christ UMC Food Drop
- Third Thursday of each month at Christ UMC. Volunteer help needed between 12:30 & 6:00pm.
Meals on Wheels
- Drivers are needed for this program. You are assigned a specific day and route and it takes about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Contact Meals on Wheels at 254-9566 if you are interested.
Sleeping Mats for the Homeless
- Volunteers are needed to help cut the shopping bags to get them ready to make the sleeping mats. If you are interested in helping with cutting, or making the mats, please contact Myrtle Dye at 254-4585 or Sharon Safley at 220-0749.
- Tabitha's Closet is located in the Fairmount Community Center and helps clothe some our Independence School District students. Volunteers are needed to help sort, hang and rotate donated clothes on Tuesdays that schools are in session between 9
:30am - 2:30pm. You can help the entire time or just an hour or two. For those that can't stand long periods of time, there is work you can help with too. Contact Buttons Jimerson at 228-7380 for more information.