The state staff is currently meeting and have been discussing the current pandemic. We have had a number of churches call and ask if we have any suggestions for handling the coronavirus 19 outbreak.
While this is not comprehensive, here are some thoughts:
- There seems to be two extremes on the thought process - sheer panic and complete stubbornness
- We need to act wisely and not fall into either side
- Remember, God is in control - this did not surprise Him
- Keep up with the latest information through the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and your state health department - don't depend on general media or social media
- Pray for your congregation, state, US, and world
- Pray for God's guidance for your specific church and situation and how you should handle it
Here are some practical tips:
- Encourage hand washing
- Provide hand sanitizer (if you can find it!)
- Ensure your church is clean and sanitized
- Avoid personal contact - CDC recommends 6' distance
- Cancel greeting time
- Reconsider how you handle offering (passing plate involves hand to hand contact)
- Reconsider communion (can get self-contained wafer and cup)
- Reconsider large gatherings and use your judgment regarding smaller gatherings
- Encourage those who are sick or susceptible to the virus to stay home (especially elderly and health compromised)
- Don't push people to come to church if they are concerned
- Consider video streaming such as FaceBook Live (the convention can help you set it up - just give us a call)
- Take the free training from Ministry Grid regarding the coronavirus and pandemics in general.
The Executive Board will be meeting tonight and tomorrow. If they have any other suggestions, I will be sure to pass it on.