Unemployment Insurance Benefits FAQs
by Arizona Department of Economic Security
Will workers impacted by COVID-19 qualify for unemployment benefits?
Most likely. DES encourages the following individuals impacted by COVID-19 to apply for Unemployment Insurance Benefits:
- Individuals whose employer has permanently or temporarily ceased or drastically reduced operations due to COVID-19 resulting in a reduction of wages;
- Individuals who, due to requirements that the individual be quarantined, are separated from employment and do not have any available paid leave even if the individual has an expectation of returning to work after the quarantine is over;
- Individuals who leave employment due to a risk of exposure or infection and are a member of a population that is particularly susceptible to COVID-19;
- Individuals who leave employment to care for a family member who has been infected with COVID-19;
- Individuals who for any other scenario are separated from work for reasons related to COVID-19.
NOTE: DES is now working with a private sector call center to expand hours into Sunday. This will begin April 26 (tentatively). Sunday hours will be from 9 a.m. -5 p.m.
Remember, with every challenge, there is opportunity. Please stay informed, engaged and ready to access the help that's out there. Together, we'll make it through!