Runway Work at Rosecrans Memorial Airport
Work is currently underway at Rosecrans Memorial Airport as two runways and the main runway are in desperate need of some reconstruction. Jviation and KC Testing are currently completing some core samples of this large runway to see what is underneath. This primary runway is 8,061 feet long, 150 feet wide and very thick. In the past couple of years, there have been failures on this pavement and these failures have the potential to cause very costly damage to aircraft and potentially life threatening situations for landing and departing aircraft.
Since the 139
Airlift Wing uses Rosecrans Memorial Airport as its home base, it's important to have a much larger and robust runway. For a complete reconstruction of the main runway, the total cost will be around $40 million. This is a costly project, but fortunately for the city of St. Joseph, the Air National Guard will fund approximately 65% of this project. The remaining 35% of the runway project is possible through a FAA grant. In the end, Rosecrans Memorial Airport will only need approximately 3% of the matching funds to complete the runway project.