In the United States, there is currently no authorized or approved vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), however vaccines are anticipated in the next few months.
Eight things you need to know about vaccines, from the Monterey County Health Department (MCHD):
- The safety of COVID-19 vaccines is a top priority.
- There may be a limited supply of COVID-19 vaccines at first, but supply will continually increase in the weeks and months that follow.
- When there is a limited supply, some groups may be recommended to receive COVID-19 vaccine first
- MCHD is working with local health care providers to plan for distribution of COVID-19 vaccine.
- Initially, COVID-19 vaccines may not be available for children and pregnant women.
- There may be different COVID-19 vaccines available, and some may require 2 doses to be most effective.
- Cost will not be an obstacle to getting vaccinated against COVID-19.
- COVID-19 vaccine information will be updated as new information becomes available.
For the very latest, and for more information, please visit the Monterey County Health Department's Vaccines web page: