Care Planning Reason #3: Improve Patient Care
1) Care planning provides
care coordination among care team members, including pharmacy staff and medical providers
2) Care planning provides triggers for follow-up patient encounters
- Follow-up is exponentially important to help improve patient outcomes.
- Care planning provides natural triggers (and in some cases electronic reminders) for follow-up appointments
- If follow-up does not occur, patients are not receiving the care that they need from their CPESN pharmacy
3) Care planning assists for tracking patient goals, personal and therapeutic (e.g., blood pressure goals)
- Helps the pharmacy staff as they strive to get a patient to their goal blood pressure. Patients are not going to meet their therapeutic goal from the very beginning, but the care plan can help track progress toward the therapeutic goal set by their provider.