- How long have you been with TCF?
I brought together a group of 5 women and formed the company in January of 2004. We are now in our 15th year and currently have 8 members.
- When did you start dancing tango?
I started dancing in Sacramento the fall of 2005 with Nora Dinzelbacher. I was inspired after seeing the theatrical production of Forever Tango in San Francisco that summer.
- When did you start leading tango?
I was already teaching partner dancing (swing, salsa & jazz) so it was natural to learn both roles at the same time. I did however always need to make that clear to my tango teachers who assumed as a woman I would only learn the follower's role. Being a teacher allowed me a certain freedom that others did not have. The gender roles were pretty fixed at that time.
- What is your role in TCF?
I am the co-director alongside Christy Cote. I also choreograph and dance with the company. I like to create and direct theatrical productions. Our last one featuring TCF, "Sex, Women and Tango" was performed at the SF International Arts festival last May.
- What do you hope TCF will develop and experience in the next couple of years?
am happy we have recently changed our focus to work more deeply on each member's individual technique and our improvisation together. Argentine Tango serves as the backbone of our creative work so it is imperative this is done on a high level. I look forward to developing entertaining new works that also speak to relevant social issues. Our next project is incubating in my mind now...
- What are you most excited about for the Europe 2018 Tour?
We usually travel to Buenos Aires annually to perform and teach our lead/follow exchange specialty. I am excited for a change of location to share our work in Europe, particularly at the Berlin Queer Tango Festival. We are also taking the opportunity to train and renew as a group toward the end of the trip at the Sitges Tango Festival. Since we usually only meet once a week, I am looking forward to spending some quality bonding time together with these amazing women of TCF. I feel this will make us even stronger as a group.
- What ways can the community help assist TCF and the 2018 Euro Tour?
What we could use most are monetary donations - No amount is too small.
(We have raised $13,500 - more than 1/2 way there. Our goal is $24,000)
You can also shop in our boutique or donate new or lightly used tango shoes and clothing.
(Our boutique is at Alma del Tango Studio, 167 Tunstead Ave, San Anselmo, Ca)
- What is your favorite tango song right now?
- When are you performing again?
You can always check out our website for
or view some of our past performances
! I will be performing with TCF at these locations:
- April 28, 2018 // Pacifica Performance with Redwood Tango Ensemble
- May 19, 2018 // El Abrazo Milonga - TCF teaches and performs
- June 7, 2018 // Milonga Malevaje - TCF teaches and performs