BCC ACCESS NEWSLETTER SEPTEMBER 2018
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School CollegeTracks Team
Mrs. Patricia Olszewski
Ms. Jhessyka Vargas
|Fall Workshop Calendar
WELCOME BACK SENIORS!
We are thrilled to welcome students back to school and CollegeTracks for the new year! There is a lot to accomplish and we are excited about helping you complete your college milestones.
NOW is the perfect time to attend our FALL WORKSHOPS!
Remember, we can help you:
SAVE THE DATE
WELCOME BACK SOCIAL FOR SENIORS!
Who: Class of 2019 Students
What: An exclusive kick-off party to learn about the college process, register for workshops & ACT prep, enjoy delicious treats, and meet Ms. V!
Where: College and Career Center
Time: 2:30pm to 4:00pm
Welcome to our new
Program Coordinator: Ms. V
- She was born in Bolivia and speaks perfect Spanglish
- She majored in Social Work and minored in Women and Gender Studies at George Mason University
- She recently obtained her Master's Degree in Social Work also from GMU
- She has a fluffy and sassy pet rabbit named Wally
- She is a Dancer! To stay in touch with her Bolivian roots, she dances Caporales
Message from Ms. V
I am excited to work with students at BCC and meet BCC teachers and staff members! Prior to joining CollegeTracks, I was an AmeriCorps member working with first generation immigrant students and an academic tutor in Northern Virginia. I look forward to working closely with students and getting them excited about applying to colleges and scholarships! I know the college application process is stressful but it is all worth it in the end. Get ready students, because you will be hearing from me daily!
What tasks have you completed with CollegeTracks this summer?
I started my Common Application, and it has helped me prepare for applying to colleges. I also learned about scholarships and financial aid and how the system works in America. I like that America has a lot of opportunities for students.
What is your favorite part about coming to CollegeTracks?
Everyone is friendly and I get a lot of help. If it weren't for CollegeTracks I wouldn't be in a position where I am now and I wouldn't know any information about college and financial aid. I am very thankful for that!
What advice do you have for other 12th graders who have not started their college process with CollegeTracks?
Don't freak out! When I started thinking about college, I didn't know where to look or apply or where to look. CollegeTracks helped me find the way and to understand my own interest in the college search process. So, don't give up and don't freak out!
SENIORS DO NOW!
- Attend the Welcome Back Social on September 5 at 2:30pm in the CCC
- Complete your resume
Self-Reflection on Naviance
- Send your college essay draft to Ms. V or Mrs. Olszewski via email for review and feedback (see above for email addresses)
- Review your college list with us
- Begin filling out your
- Begin filling out your Coalition Application if you are applying to University of Maryland-College Park
- Create an FSA ID for yourself and one parent
- Identify 4 scholarships that you can apply for
Schedule an appointment with CollegeTracks TODAY!
INTRODUCING THE FAFSA!
What is the FAFSA and why do I need to submit it?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
The FAFSA is
eware of websites that may look similar to the FAFSA website.
The FAFSA is required to obtain federal and state financial aid for college this year and every yearthat you are enrolled in college.
Who can submit the FAFSA?
U.S. Citizens and legal Permanent
Residents are eligible to fill out the FAFSA. Other students may also be eligible! Find out more from CollegeTracks staff.
When do I submit the FAFSA? The 2019-2020 FAFSA opens on October 1, 2018. Complete the FAFSA before your earliest college financial aid deadline!
What can I do now to prepare for the FAFSA?
(1) Create an FSA ID (federal student aid username and password) for the student and for one parent,
ttend the CollegeTracks Financial Aid workshop the week of Oct 15th
to learn about the financial aid process.
(4) Watch for BCC's Financial Aid Night
CollegeTracks will help students and families submit the FAFSA starting
October 1, 2018. Stop by CollegeTracks in the CCC to make a FAFSA appointment today!!
PREPARING FOR THE ACT
The September 8th ACT is approaching!
Keep the following tips in mind as you prepare for the test this month:
- Take a practice test.
- Sleep well the night before taking the ACT.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Bring a watch, #2 pencils, a good eraser, a permitted calculator, and snacks on the day of the exam.
- Have a printed copy of your ACT Admission Ticket
acceptable form of ID.
- Make a transportation plan to and from the testing location.
GOOD LUCK SENIORS!
MAXIMIZE YOUR COLLEGE OPTIONS!
Some deadlines are just around the corner! Make sure you are using your time wisely this semester so you can enjoy Senior activities with your friends during the Spring semester!
- VISIT COLLEGES - Go on road trips, drive to local colleges, take public transportation to area universities. See what the colleges you are interested in are like.
- APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS - Check the CollegeTracks scholarship packet, check your emails from CollegeTracks, and do scholarship searches to access more free money for college!
STRIVE TO IMPROVE YOUR GPA! -
Don't forget to focus on your schoolwork and try your best in all of your classes. If you are struggling in a class, make sure you talk to your teacher to get the help you need!
Let Ms. V or Mrs. Olszewski know if you're applying for any of these scholarships!
Staples for Students Sweepstakes
September 15, 2018
$25,000 - $50,000
Must be ag
e 13 or older.
Must be a United States Citizen. Must v
isit a participating Staples location and make a
purchase of at least $25 to receive a unique code
which will serve as your entry into the sweepstakes. If you do not want to make a purchase,
a unique ent
ry code by visiting the sponsor's website.
Shout it Out Scholarship
September 30, 2018
ELIGIBILITY: Must be age 13 or older, and a legal resident of the United States. Must enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher education by 2020. Applicants will be asked to submit an online written response to "If you could say one thing to the entire world at once, what would it by and why?"
CLICK HERE for scholarships that DO NOT require U.S. citizenship!
Frostburg is a medium-sized, 4-year, public university located in Frostburg, Maryland.
Frostburg has been named a College of Distinction for its excellence in student engagement, high-quality teaching, vibrant community and successful graduates.
Popular majors include engineering, education, communications, psychology, and animal behavior.
The Lane University Center is the hub of student social life and is located in the heart of the Frostburg campus.
- Welcome back BCC school administrators and staff. It's great to see new and returning faces. We look forward to collaborating for student success!
- Congratulations to all of the Seniors who attended Summer Workshops. You rock, keep it up!
- Thank you to the CollegeTracks volunteers and tutors for your help with summer workshops. We couldn't have done it without your support!
WHERE TO FIND US?
College and Career Center
Thursdays, & Fridays
CONNECT WITH COLLEGETRACKS!