WMHS ACCESS NEWSLETTER February 2019
Watkins Mill High School CollegeTracks Team
Ms. Rula Zaru
Ms. Bridgette Roa
WHAT: HBCU College Fair and On-Site Admissions
WHEN: Friday, February 22nd from 4 PM-8 PM
WHERE: The Universities at Shady Grove (Bldg. 3)
WHO: ALL students and families may attend.
Learn about HBCUs and talk to college reps, apply on-site and receive an admissions decision at the fair.
for a list of participating colleges.
Please see Ms. Heald for more information
Plan to attend these important spring workshops
and learn about additional financial aid opportunities, get assistance to complete scholarship applications, and interpret financial aid award letters.
Hey Seniors! Have you been accepted to college? Congratulations!
Please share your good news with CollegeTracks. Share your acceptance letter or email with us so we can make a copy and update your folder.
Welcome, Class of 2020!
Thank you for joining CollegeTracks
We know that there is a lot to think about before you go to college! That's why we are here.
Our staff and volunteers are excited to help you plan a successful and rewarding future.
Here are some things that you can do now:
1. Schedule an appointment to complete your welcome interview.
2. Stop by the office to determine how you can study for the April SAT!
3. Come to the Junior Kick Off on Friday, March 8th during STEP! You will have the opportunity to meet staff, eat candy, and sign up for workshops!
4. Bring a classmate to register for CollegeTracks.
5. Follow us on social media.
6. Register and attend our spring workshops.
If you have questions, please stop by the office (Room A006) or email us. We are here to help you.
NAME: Davidson Fellows Scholarship
DUE DATE: February 13, 2019
AMOUNT: $10, 000-$50,000
ELIGIBILITY: Grades 9-12;
U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Submit significant work in the STEM field or humanities.
NAME: Annual Create A Greeting Card Scholarship Contest
DUE DATE: February 28
Grades 9-12; U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or International students with education visa may apply.
NAME: The Hispanic Scholarship Fund
February 15, 2019
$1,500 for 2-year college; $2,500 for 4-year colleges
Be of Hispanic heritage,
U.S. citizen, permanent resident, I-551 passport, or DACA status, minimum 3.0 GPA, must be enrolled in a high school, a 2-year or 4-year accredited college.
March 1, 2019
Up to $1,500
US Citizen or DREAMER, live in subsidized housing in Montgomery County, minimum 2.0 GPA unweighted. Essay required.
April 1, 2019
ELIGIBILITY: In grade 12, Maryland resident, minimum GPA of 2.0, family income is below $90,000 per year, or $66,000 for students pursuing career and tech training.
US citizen or a permanent resident
Enter the 2019
Win prizes now!
Get money for college!
2. After verifying your eligibility, apply for as many scholarships as you can between February 1st through February 28th.
3. Take a screenshot or photo of your submission's confirmation email or your completed application.
4. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a document that includes your name, scholarship name, link for the scholarship, and proof of submission by Tuesday, March 5th.
5. Winners will be notified on Friday, March 8th.
COLLEGE SPOTLIGHT FOR FEBRUARY
- The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) is a land-grant, historically black college founded in 1886 as the Delaware Conference Academy.
- UMES offers major programs leading to B.A. and B.S. degrees in the arts and sciences, professional studies, and agricultural sciences. The most popular undergraduate major is business/marketing (17%).
- The college has a unique Aviation Sciences Program where students can receive a B.S. in Aviation Science, with a concentration in professional pilot training.
- There are approximately 3,000 undergraduate students enrolled; Students come from 30 states and 55 other countries. 53% of students live in off-campus housing.
- Ocean City is an hour away from the campus.
WHERE TO FIND US?
Thursdays, & Fridays