WMHS ACCESS NEWSLETTER SEPTEMBER 2018
Watkins Mill High School CollegeTracks Team
Ms. Rula Zaru
Mrs. Estefani Rondon
Mr. Dominic Chappell
|Fall Workshop Calendar
WELCOME BACK SENIORS!
We are thrilled to welcome students back to school and CollegeTracks for the new year! There is a lot to accomplish and we are excited about helping you complete your college milestones.
NOW is the perfect time to attend our FALL WORKSHOPS!
Remember, we can help you:
SAVE THE DATE
BACK TO SCHOOL KICK-OFF PARTY FOR SENIORS!
Who: Class of 2019 Students
What: An exclusive kick-off party to learn about the college process, register for workshops & ACT prep, and enjoy delicious treats!
Time: During STEP from 11:18am - 11:57am
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22nd
Who: Class of 2019 Students
What: Practice your test taking skills! Students are invited to take a mock ACT test. All students will receive a full score report a week after the test.
Time: 8:00am - 12:30pm
FINANCIAL AID NIGHT FOR FAMILIES!
(Noche de Ayuda Financiera)
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25th
Who: Class of 2019 Students & Families
What: Families are invited to
CollegeTracks to learn about the financial aid process. Presentations in Spanish will be offered to families who feel more comfortable receiving the financial aid information in Spanish.
Time: 6:30pm - 8:00pm
What tasks have you completed with CollegeTracks this summer?
I attended ACT Prep twice a week (and got my score up), registered for the September ACT, created my college list, submitted the Brag Sheet to my counselor, got my Common App started and completed the dreaded college essay!
What is your favorite part about coming to CollegeTracks?
The CollegeTracks Staff! They are really funny and fun to talk to.
Mr. Dom is just extra and is always saying something that has me laughing so hard. I've also found inspiring role models, like Ms. Barclay.
What advice do you have for other 12th graders who have not started their college process with CollegeTracks?
Come to CollegeTracks! If you haven't started studying for the ACT/SAT --- start studying because the test will hit you like a ton of bricks.
SENIORS DO NOW!
- Attend the Back to School Event for Seniors during STEP on Friday, Sept. 7th in A006
- Complete your resume
- Complete your Brag Sheet
- Send your college essay draft to firstname.lastname@example.org for review and feedback
- Review your college list with us
- Begin completing your Common Application
- Begin completing your Coalition Application if you are applying to University of Maryland- College Park
- Create an FSA ID for yourself and one parent
- Identify 4 scholarships that you can apply for
- Sign up for ACT prep with CollegeTracks if you plan to take the October or December ACT - contact Mrs. E
Schedule an appointment with CollegeTracks TODAY!
INTRODUCING THE FAFSA!
What is the FAFSA and why do I need to submit it?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
eware of websites that may look similar to the FAFSA website.
The FAFSA is required to obtain federal and state financial aid for college this year and every year that you are enrolled in college.
Who can submit the FAFSA?
U.S. Citizens and legal Permanent
Residents are eligible to fill out the FAFSA. Other students may also be eligible! Find out more from CollegeTracks staff.
When do I submit the FAFSA? The 2019-2020 FAFSA opens on October 1, 2018. Complete the FAFSA before your earliest college financial aid deadline!
What can I do now to prepare for the FAFSA? (1) Create an FSA ID (federal student aid username and password) for the student and for one parent, (2) Gather the documents and information
needed to complete the FAFSA, including the 2017 tax returns. (3) A
ttend the CollegeTracks Financial Aid Night on September 25th
to learn about the financial aid process. We hope to see you there!
CollegeTracks will help students and families submit the FAFSA starting October 1, 2018!
PREPARING FOR THE ACT:
The September 8th ACT is approaching!
Keep the following tips in mind as you prepare for the test this month:
- Take a practice test.
- Sleep well the night before taking the ACT.
- Eat a healthy breakfast.
- Bring a watch, #2 pencils, a good eraser, a permitted calculator, and snacks on the day of the exam.
- Have a printed copy of your ACT Admission Ticket and acceptable form of ID.
- Make a transportation plan to and from the testing location.
GOOD LUCK SENIORS!
MAXIMIZE YOUR COLLEGE OPTIONS!
Some deadlines are just around the corner! Make sure you are using your time wisely this semester so you can enjoy Senior activities with your friends during the Spring semester!
- VISIT COLLEGES - Go on road trips, drive to local colleges, take public transportation to area universities. See what the colleges you are interested in are like.
- APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS - Check the CollegeTracks scholarship packet, check your emails from CollegeTracks, and do scholarship searches to access more free money for college!
STRIVE FOR A 2.5 GPA OR ABOVE! -
Don't forget to focus on your schoolwork and try your best in all of your classes. If you are struggling in a class, make sure you talk to your teacher to get the help you need!
Let Ms. Rula, Mr. Chappell or Mrs. E know if you're applying for any of these scholarships!
Staples for Students Sweepstakes
September 15, 2018
$25,000 - $50,000
Must be ag
e 13 or older.
Must be a United States Citizen. Must v
isit a participating Staples location and make a
purchase of at least $25 to receive a unique code
which will serve as your entry into the sweepstakes. If you do not want to make a purchase,
a unique ent
ry code by visiting the sponsor's website.
Shout it Out Scholarship
September 30, 2018
ELIGIBILITY: Must be age 13 or older, and a legal resident of the United States. Must enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher education by 2020. Applicants will be asked to submit an online written response to "If you could say one thing to the entire world at once, what would it by and why?"
for scholarships that do not require U.S. citizenship!
Frostburg is a medium-sized, 4-year, public university located in Frostburg, Maryland.
Frostburg has been named a College of Distinction for its excellence in student engagement, high-quality teaching, vibrant community and successful graduates.
Popular majors include engineering, education, communications, psychology, and animal behavior.
The Lane University Center is the hub of student social life and is located in the heart of the Frostburg campus.
- Welcome back Watkins Mill High school administrators and staff. It's great to see new and returning faces. We look forward to collaborating for student success!
- Congratulations to all of the Seniors who attended Summer Jumpstart Workshops and ACT Prep. You rock, keep it up!
- Thank you to the CollegeTracks volunteers and tutors for your help with summer workshops and ACT Prep, we couldn't have done it without your support!
WHERE TO FIND US?
Thursdays, & Fridays