WHS ACCESS NEWSLETTER June 2018
Wheaton High School CollegeTracks Team
Ms. Meghan Lynch
Mr. Dwaine Brown
Ms. Rula Zaru
Make the most of your summer and get a Jump Start to College!
Juniors, SIGN UP for summer workshops and maximize your college and financial aid opportunities! There are many steps you must complete before senior year!!
MONDAYS 1:00-3:00pm or TUESDAYS 10:30-12:30
Wheaton High School
June 18th-August 14th
Attendance: 1 workshop per week
Here is the summer workshop schedule:
1. What are you hobbies?
I play football and I have been playing for 7 years. I enjoy playing video games and I am a member of the AMEN club and the Distinguished Gentleman club!
2. What is your favorite part about being in CollegeTracks?
Researching colleges! It is exciting to find colleges that I am interested in. I like the way that CollegeTracks explains college process, it makes things easier!
3. What do you think you want to study in college?
My favorite subject is math. I really enjoy playing with numbers and solving problems. I would like to study business, finance, and entrepreneurship.
4. Dagmawi's advice to other juniors:
Get your work done! It is important to stay on top of everything at CollegeTracks so you don't run out of time.
ACT and SAT Study Tips!
SAT: Saturday, June 2nd
Saturday, June 9th
- Get a full 8 hours of sleep the night before your test
- Eat a healthy breakfast (eggs, fruit, oats/grains, etc.)
- Bring #2 pencils, a permitted calculator, and snacks
- Bring your printed Admissions Ticket and ID
- Have a solid transportation plan to and from the test
CALLING ALL JUNIORS!
Have you already signed up for CollegeTracks, but have junior friends that are not signed up with us?
Bring your junior friends to sign up with CollegeTracks before the summer so you can attend workshops together!
JUNIORS DO NOW!
- Continue attending your ACT or SAT prep sessions and practice on your own time!
- Schedule your CollegeTracks interview
- Keep up with your schoolwork, every grade counts!
- Create an FSAID for the FAFSA!
- Complete your BRAG sheet and resume!
- Sign up for and attend Summer Jump Start to College Workshops!
- Email Ms. Hammond Davis to request a copy of your unofficial transcript. See CollegeTracks for help sending the email!
- Follow CollegeTracks on social media- see below for accounts
REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL!
We are going to miss you, but the Success Coaches are looking forwarding to working with you as you begin your college journey!
You will find out who your coach is on June 1st!
1. What are you interested in studying in college and why?
I want to study business administration and sports management because after football is done for me, I still want to be involved in the sport and invest money into it because I know I will still have love for it.
2. What part of college are you looking forward to the most?
I am mostly looking forward to playing football again because I miss being on the field and having fun doing what I love.
3. What was your favorite part about the college application process during the past 2 years?
My favorite part was doing workshops because I knew they would give me a chance to get ahead and I was able to do them with some people that I also wanted to see go to college and succeed
4. What was the most challenging part about the college application process?
5. KK's advice for Juniors:
FAFSA was the hardest part because, believe it or not, it can actually either help a lot or hold you back from making a decision for college if your eligible for certain grants.
"Don't loaf [slack off] on your ACT/SAT's and make sure you keep your grades up or get them higher. COLLEGES ACTUALLY DO LOOK AT THEM AND BASE YOUR SCHOLARSHIPS AND OTHER GRANTS OFF OF THEM. I got $24,000 from my school just because of my high school academics, so please take them seriously!"
SENIORS DO NOW!
PRIORITY: If you haven't yet done so, tell CollegeTracks staff which school you are attending in the fall, or come in for help making your decision!
Check you email and follow up on tasks assigned to you by your college!
Check your email and respond to communication for the CollegeTacks Success team!
Submit your financial aid documents, complete the
new student orientation
&academic orientation (EMAP), and schedule an appointment to meet with an MC counselor.
Check your MDCAPS account for any awards over the summer.
Complete Dream Act Documents (if applicable).
your 11th grade friends to join CollegeTracks!
We are going to miss you!
Let Ms. Lynch or Ms. Rula know if you're applying for any of these scholarships!
June 14, 2018
ELIGIBILITY: Submit 500-100 word essay (describe your educational career and life goals. Include your degree/major, why you selected it, and how this degree/majors ill help you achieve your goals. Grades 11-12.
Ethiopian Heritage Scholarship
June 29, 2018
Must be a resident of the Greater Metropolitan Area, must be admitted to a 2 or 4 year accredited college/university. Must submit 400 words or less essay (see link below for details).
NAME: Digital Privacy Scholarship
June 30, 2018
Must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident. Must submit a 140 character message about digital privacy. Grades 9-12.
for scholarships that do not require U.S. citizenship!
University of Maryland- College Park!
DID YOU KNOW?
University of Maryland-College Park is a 4 year public institution that was founded in 1865. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 27,443 its setting is suburban, and is primarily a commuter campus
The University of Maryland is Ranked #20 among public universities and #25 for most innovative schools by US. News & World Report, as well as #14 among public universities by Forbes.
A current member of the Big Ten Conference, Maryland is one of only three NCAA Division 1 institutions to have won a national championship in football, men's basketball and women's basketball.
See CollegeTracks to learn more about UMD!
- Wheaton High school administrators and staff, we appreciate all you do to support and encourage students!
- Great job to juniors who are attending ACT/SAT prep and CollegeTracks workshops!
- Congratulations to all of the Seniors for graduating from high school!
- Thank you to the CollegeTracks volunteers for their continued dedication to student success.
WHERE TO FIND US?
Thursdays, & Fridays