WHS ACCESS NEWSLETTER May 2018
Wheaton High School CollegeTracks Team
Ms. Meghan Lynch
Mr. Dwaine Brown
Ms. Rula Zaru
You've decided where you are going to college...Now what?
Come to CollegeTracks and take a picture at our photo wall to show off your hard work and the college that you are attending this fall! Bring your friends!!!
CREATE A CHECKLIST OF TO-DO ITEMS FOR YOUR COLLEGE! Here are some tips to help you prepare for going to college:
- Communicate with your FINANCIAL AID office to ensure all requirements have been met.
- Call your ADMISSIONS office and find out if you need to submit any health forms or other required forms.
- Register for ORIENTATION PROGRAMS and be sure to attend! This will be an opportunity for you to register for fall classes and learn about social and academic programs at your college.
- Use the summer to reach out to your roommate and agree how to best manage your space.
- Practice being an Adult! Try managing all aspects of life. Do your own laundry and learn how to cook your favorite meal!
SENIOR GRADUATION CORDS
Did you know that CollegeTracks seniors receive a green cord to wear during high school graduation?
Come to CollegeTracks as soon as possible to pick up your graduation cord!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR SCHOLARS!
CollegeTracks celebrated graduating high school seniors in the Access Program and graduating college students in the Success Program on Wednesday, April 24th!
We are proud of our scholars' hard work and dedication. Congratulations to you and your families!
1. What are you interested in studying in college and why?
I am interested in studying Cybersecurity!
2. What part of college are you looking forward to the most?
The college environment, going to a new place, and going away from home! I am excited to be on my own, have responsibilities and experience the college life!
3. What was your favorite part about the college application process during the past 2 years?
I enjoyed writing my essay because it helped me express all of my feelings because I was able to talk about things that I normally don't talk about and it was an opportunity to express myself.
4. Alex's advice for Juniors:
Make sure you come in every day in the summer because it will be worth it once the year begins and then it will get easier and easier. Get stuff done early, the earlier the better.
Seniors: You have until MAY 3rd
to join the Success Program!
Did you know you can take CollegeTracks to college with you?
A CollegeTracks Success Coach will help you with your academics, financial aid, career opportunities, and life as a college student!
Come to CollegeTracks before May 3rd to sign up for an appointment!
Upcoming tasks for
Montgomery College Students:
Log on to your MyMC account and finalize all your financial aid requirements!
- Need to turn in financial paperwork? Come to CollegeTracks as soon as possible to complete your forms.
- Sign up for the CollegeTracks Success Program so you can take CollegeTracks to college and get support while you are at MC.
- Be sure you've taken the Accuplacer placement exam. If you haven't taken the Accuplacer, schedule your appointment at MC here.
- Complete your eMAP online advising session. Click here to access eMAP!
- Complete New Student Orientation by clicking here!
- Think about your plans for transportation to campus in the fall.
Come to CollegeTracks for help completing these steps!
SENIORS DO NOW!
PRIORITY: Tell CollegeTracks staff which school you are attending in the fall, or come in for help making your decision.
URGENT: Submit all required financial aid and verification forms to your colleges!
Bring your college acceptance and financial aid award letters to CollegeTracks.
Submit your MC financial aid paperwork
Schedule an appointment to review your financial aid award letters with CollegeTracks
Encourage your 11th grade friends to join CollegeTracks!
Schedule an appointment with CollegeTracks TODAY!
Schedule an appointment with CollegeTracks TODAY!
SPRING WORKSHOPS FOR JUNIORS!
JUNIORS: Workshops have started, but there is still time to join!
Workshops will be held after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-3:30pm!
Come to CollegeTracks to sign up for a day!
JUNIORS DO NOW!
- Register for the ACT or SAT (Come to CollegeTracks if you are unsure which test to take or how to register)
- Schedule your CollegeTracks interview
- Keep up with your schoolwork, every grade counts
- Sign up for and attend Spring workshops
- Complete your BRAG sheet on Naviance
- Complete your resume using the CollegeTracks template
- Follow up on workshop tasks
- Email Ms. Hammond Davis to request a copy of your unofficial transcript. See CollegeTracks for help sending the email!
- Follow CollegeTracks on social media- see below for accounts
REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL!
1. What part of the college application process are you the most excited about?
I am most excited to apply to colleges that I dreamed of going too
2. What is your favorite part about being in CollegeTracks?
Being in CollegeTracks, so far, has been a fun experience and a great way to prepare for college ahead of time. It's a great program for students who don't have a clue on where to go or what they want to do. My favorite part is being able to have workshops and being able to work on anything early for college
3. What do you think you want to study in college?
Engineering in technology or entrepreneurship.
4. What are some of your hobbies?
I love taking photos and being creative, whether it's drawing or writing or reading.
Let Ms. Lynch, Mr. Brown, or Ms. Rula know if you're applying for any of these scholarships!
B Davis Scholarship
May 22, 2018
ELIGIBILITY: This is not an academic scholarship, but we would like to know where you are going to school now and what your future career plans are. To apply, you will need to write an essay of 1000 words on this topics: "Describe 3 characteristics of leadership you value most. Discuss why you believe these traits are so important and how you feel they are developed in an individual.
Hispanic Achievement Scholarship
May 30, 2018
High school GPA of 2.5 or greater, must attend a Maryland college or university in the Spring. Significant contribution of voluntary community service in the last 12 months. Must be a U.S. citizen, resident, or dreamer (as defined by the Dream Act). Must have proof of financial need to continue higher education.
NAME: Fifth Month Scholarship
March 31, 2018
Must be a legal resident, be currently enrolled or enroll in an accredited post-secondary institution in the fall
for scholarships that do not require U.S. citizenship!
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY
DID YOU KNOW?
West Virginia University is a 4 year public institution that was founded in 1867. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 28,776 its setting is rural, and the campus spans over 1,892 acres.
West Virginia University is apart of the Academic Common Market for the state of Maryland. This means that if a student desires to pursue a degree program that is not offered in Maryland they may attend a out of state academic common market school at the in state tuition rate. Some of the eligible degree programs include: Agroecology, Bio-medical Engineering, and Design and Merchandising!
After amassing 3,419 Receiving Yards, 2,840 Return Yards and 75 total touchdowns West Virginia star Tavon Austin was drafted in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Austin was selected with the eighth pick by the Los Angeles Rams.
See CollegeTracks to learn more about WVU!
- Wheaton High school administrators and staff, we appreciate all you do to support and encourage students!
- Great job to juniors who are attending ACT/SAT prep and CollegeTracks workshops!
- Shoutout to all of the Seniors for your continuous dedication to the college application process!
- Thank you to the CollegeTracks volunteers for their continued dedication to student success.
WHERE TO FIND US?
Thursdays, & Fridays